CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mcpog

20th October 2010, 19:41
i was stuck on 5d for a long time thanks to carvaggio for making the clue make sense it might have helped if i had kown the correct gaelic spelling
21 of 42  -   Report This Post

bees

20th October 2010, 20:25
Thanks Torvic. I have now kicked myself.
That city is certainly a long way away. Funny, I thought it was something out of Lord of the Rings.
22 of 42  -   Report This Post

butterfly

21st October 2010, 00:27
Thought it was going to be fairly easy this week as I was going great guns then it all started to go pear shaped & I struggled - 5d, 16a and the bottom LH side stumped me for quite a while, especially 23a. Some good clues but some awful ones as well.
23 of 42  -   Report This Post

nimrod

21st October 2010, 09:31
RT seems to arrive later each week. Never mind!!
A few clues this week to exercise the little grey cells. The last 2/3 crosswords have been more challenging - which is good. Do we have a new compiler?
4D, as noted on the thread, difficult. I had never heard of the city. Had to check it in the atlas. 17D was easy once I had picked up on the word "cordial." Favourite clue was 7A - a lovely play on words which did not come to me straight away! 24A & 10A were also good clues.
Caravaggio, certainly very cold and damp in my garden but still the place to go and work out 7A!!
24 of 42  -   Report This Post

mondrian

21st October 2010, 13:07
Like Philip and Caravaggio, once I got football out of my mind I too liked the Chelsea clue and thought it good.

Also like nearly everyone else I am stuck on 5D but if you have all been stuck then I do not feel so bad. However, unlike everyone else, I seem to be stuck on 13D the detective series thing and I watch enough of them so feel I should know it!! Any helpers out there?

Hope Nimrod you are making good progress.
25 of 42  -   Report This Post

mondrian

21st October 2010, 13:18
Re my earier post, the penny has just dropped for 13D, so don`t need help after all. I hadn`t been thinking nordically! But I am still stuck on 5D.
26 of 42  -   Report This Post

karen

21st October 2010, 13:26
Hi Mondrian 5d Is the gaelic name of the irish PM. Hope that helps
27 of 42  -   Report This Post

nimrod

21st October 2010, 13:31
Mondrian: 13D
The clue is divided into 2 parts: one is another word for "stray" , the second is anther word for "entire". The use of the word "round" means that the first clue word is split so that part of it comes at the beginning of the answer and another part is after second clue word at the end.
Hope this helps.
28 of 42  -   Report This Post

nimrod

21st October 2010, 13:36
Sorry, just seen your reply. Not quick enough on the keyboard!
Go with Karen on 5D. Caravaggio has also ideas on the subject explained earlier in the thread.
29 of 42  -   Report This Post

karen

21st October 2010, 14:11
Should have said title rather than name!
30 of 42  -   Report This Post