CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

31st December 2023, 08:03
Normal service resumes today after last week’s themed puzzle with an ‘antonym’ pairing rather than a rhyme.

Nothing too taxing, but I have issues with 10a and 2d (assuming I have the correct answers that is)…
1 of 43  -   Report This Post

teewens

31st December 2023, 08:12
Same here Jono. Especially 2d. No green tick so may have the wrong answer for 2d but I have tried alternatives without success. HNY forum members and COYG.
2 of 43  -   Report This Post

edc

31st December 2023, 08:20
Same as both above. It was a write-in except for 2d which I think I have an answer to, but cannot parse it. Duuh.
Oh and Happy New year in advance.
3 of 43  -   Report This Post

edc

31st December 2023, 08:22
10a two letter word for one followed by its reverse
4 of 43  -   Report This Post

ianwil

31st December 2023, 08:23
10a is given by the crossers, because of the nature of the clue. But 2d? I have a 5 letter word for “rock” minus first letter, giving a simple bit of music. But I am unconvinced.
5 of 43  -   Report This Post

nickos20

31st December 2023, 08:30
Yes pretty much a write in 10a is a palindrome a vague clue. 2d taking the first letter off something meaning rock. The music part is cryptic not quite seeing that bit. Maybe if you put semi in front of the answer has something to do with it?
6 of 43  -   Report This Post

bowergirl

31st December 2023, 08:33
I agree with you about 2d which was my last one in. A word for rock without its first letter I think. Are you querying whether the answer is really a “section” of music? Bit of a stretch perhaps as I would say the answer is more the overall sound of a piece? 10a is just a palindrome of a woman’s name made up of a word for one twice, (indefinite article) forward and back? I liked 3d and 8d. Got to love a good anagram and homophone. A Happy New Year to you all. Keep puzzling!
7 of 43  -   Report This Post

jono

31st December 2023, 08:42
I agree ‘section’ is a strange choice in 2d, but even if you accept that, a smaller ‘section’ would be a semi-?
Issue with 10a is that a mirror image is not the same as a reversal. i.e. if you hold it up to a mirror it looks different.
8 of 43  -   Report This Post

paulnz

31st December 2023, 08:56
re 2d I took the answer in the sense of a single note (smallest section of music), not in the sense of the specific duration of a note.
9 of 43  -   Report This Post

nicoladawn

31st December 2023, 09:23
A write-in, which was nice. FOI 1d. LOI 2d. Can’t parse 14d…
HNY all.
10 of 43  -   Report This Post