CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pauly

23rd December 2023, 17:20
Cheers Jono - 18 corrected and the other 2 understood - merry Christmas :-)
31 of 61  -   Report This Post

roof

23rd December 2023, 18:23
Hi everyone

Why aren't you all busy wrapping presents and cooking like me? I've made the nut roast mix and its stuffing today.

I've just read through all the clues and started well, though I've no thematic ones yet.

I think I understand the instructions, but time will tell.

I do the crossword on the newspaper, but the print is so small - both the grid and the clues. I may have to download Jono's grid and print it out. I hope to do a few more this evening. At least my husband cooks on Saturday evenings. But I think it will take me a few days to make much progress. I've still more wrapping and cooking to do tomorrow.
32 of 61  -   Report This Post

roof

23rd December 2023, 18:27
Well that didn't work. I can open the file but can't print anything other than the numbers. No grid!

I'm not good with the computer Jono.
33 of 61  -   Report This Post

rocky7

24th December 2023, 09:09
I've got to be honest and say I'm making heavy weather of this. In my defence, like Roof I've been cooking and stuff (spinach, feta and pine nut pie for the veggie at this end) but i can't seem to even find words that fit the definitions and work backwards. I'm about a quarter done. I don't like not finishing once i start but i might be on this until the New Year.

What does cere mean? And is that a famous Dawn for 25d?
34 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

24th December 2023, 09:26
Rocky,
25d is thematic so Dawn is three letters reversed. Think mythology.

The answer to 38d is straight out of Chambers, but you’ll have to look up the meaning of cere (I didn’t know it either). It’s a useful clue to get as it opens up that corner with some less usual letters for ends of words.
35 of 61  -   Report This Post

rocky7

24th December 2023, 09:32
Thanks Jono. Those two might help me get going again. I will probably break for the Everyman later but I shall persevere.
36 of 61  -   Report This Post

phfd

24th December 2023, 11:27
Just joined the forum although I’ve taken advantage of your help many times. I think I’ve finished - a personal record but haven’t crossed off one of the trios. Probably missed it - wxy?
37 of 61  -   Report This Post

jono

24th December 2023, 11:39
Hi pHFD, welcome.
Check you have the correct answer for the American tree...
38 of 61  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

24th December 2023, 11:46
Hello phfd
Think wxy is in 13d
39 of 61  -   Report This Post

freddycat21

24th December 2023, 12:05
Got on famously with all but the bottom left quadrant. Any hints for 21 and 42 down would be much appreciated. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all cruciverbalists.
40 of 61  -   Report This Post