CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

micky

16th December 2023, 22:38
It's really "tot xx" where xx is a two letter word, rather than just "tot"; then you cycle the letters round.
91 of 113  -   Report This Post

rocky7

16th December 2023, 22:55
I got a bit of a dressing down for criticising Paul's last puzzle a couple of weeks ago (can't remember who from). Mainly because I didn't think it was up to his usual standard but I think it's perfectly OK. I enjoy coming on here and seeing what others think. On some occasions it has even changed my opinion of certain clues. As Brendan says we're a disparate bunch who come together as a result of a love of the Guardian crossword. Long may it continue.

Merry Christmas all just in case I don't make it here over the holiday period.
92 of 113  -   Report This Post

aicram

16th December 2023, 23:14
Decided to go on the blog to fill in a couple of clues I have missing.
Really interesting reading.
I never watch Strictly either but don't think it mattered at all. The Dance clues were all straightforward with basic GK
And I thought 6d was clever - didn't take much effort to work it out.
However, still have 3 clues to go.
Am also looking forward to the big one next weekend - one of the highlights of Christmas.
93 of 113  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

16th December 2023, 23:39
I’ve never enjoyed Boatman’s puzzles much, but he forfeited my sympathy when being coy about whether special instructions for his prize puzzle on Oct 7 (themed on collars) were inadvertently omitted or not. He knew the answer, and should have fessed up. I know the Guardian has a poor record in this respect (a recent Genius missed out several clues) , but some humility is not too much to ask. Treating solvers like idiots doesn’t play well with me, so some of the flak he has copped here is fair game in my book. O for no is just sloppy and wrong to me. If zero risk works, use it. I'm quite sure Boatman’s self-regard is high enough not to care what I think, and I’m sure Jono, who has his ear, will enlighten us.

94 of 113  -   Report This Post

dhope

17th December 2023, 07:46
Just finished after a late start , I enjoyed it and the blog !
It is good to read the comments of those who are more experienced . I had no problem with 23d in fact I rate it my COD with 13a a close second. I took longer to work out 19a which was my LOI! Looking forward to the Christmas special next week.
Festive greetings to everyone ,thanks for your company and help this year.
95 of 113  -   Report This Post

grum

17th December 2023, 08:56
I don't think the validity of the answer to 23d is at all in doubt. Used adjectivally you could swap the solution for the definition and it would be spot on (admittedly the definition is not often heard adjectivally, but presumably the reason why a certain place got its name?)
96 of 113  -   Report This Post

grum

17th December 2023, 09:11
And 23d definitely COD for me.
I'm very much 'non-Strictly' yet I managed the crossword even without reference to his forum, which is quite rare for me. So, thank you, Boatman!

Given the other comments, I'll just say that mostly I've found people very helpful on here, and not dismissive when I've had to ask about an 'obvious' clue. There are one or two who, every single week, seem to tell us how they have no time for this particular setter, or that particular format, or why a clue is rubbish. Honestly, I wonder why they even bother doing the Guardian Prize at all.
97 of 113  -   Report This Post

pault

17th December 2023, 09:35
Validity in doubt? How so? In my experience, almost every time the solution is mentioned in real life, and especially on telly, they only use this first part.
98 of 113  -   Report This Post

jono

17th December 2023, 09:39
PaulT, I think you are referring to 24 and Grum to 23. Apologies if not, but in any case I agree with you both :-)
99 of 113  -   Report This Post

pault

17th December 2023, 09:41
It's not just in the telly that the first half of the name is used as shorthand for the whole thing. And it's a perfectly normal part of language. At band practice our band leader often calls out just the first word of a tune and we all know what to play.
100 of 113  -   Report This Post