CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

16th December 2023, 16:02
I just had a brief exchange of messages with Boatman regarding 24 and he replied “…I did wonder whether I'd get away with that one”. I suspect that relates to the definition, but make of it what you will...😉
51 of 113  -   Report This Post

jono

16th December 2023, 16:09
*sorry, I meant 23
52 of 113  -   Report This Post

snowwhite

16th December 2023, 16:13
Quite enjoyed this as a Strictly fan. Some clues not ideal but I think some of the comments a bit harsh. Have heard of ?????? and watching Strictly can assure you they often use the abbreviation in 24d for that dance.

Note from Admin - Word removed, gave an answer.
53 of 113  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th December 2023, 16:18
Snowwhite @53
Citing TV commentators as language gurus is overoptimistic! The dance translates as "two-step"; the grid entry is just the "step" bit!
54 of 113  -   Report This Post

roof

16th December 2023, 16:19
HI everyone

Started late as usual and did 1ac straight away and several in NW corner, but then ground to a halt, especially when I realised the theme. It's of no interest to me either. Today is very busy. My husband carried in the live tree in a pot and I've decorated it - lots more to do for Christmas. Can I be be bothered to continue? I'll give it another hour or two. I haven't found the hiddens yet. I thought I had an answer for 19ac, but it doesn't need cycling and where does Guardian come in?
Just got 12ac, but where is the definition?
Thanks Brendan for the hint about two forces in 7d, which I just got.

Jono, who is setting the quick crossword at the moment. It has been unduly odd for the last couple of weeks. Is that Boatman too?

I may be back for more hints later
55 of 113  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th December 2023, 16:26
jono, on (humbled) reflection 23 is fine IMO. Perhaps the clue is a bit verbose, but witty enough to be COD or close.
56 of 113  -   Report This Post

jono

16th December 2023, 16:37
Hi Roof, I concur, the Quick has been very hit and miss recently. Perhaps the change in editor will bring back some consistency. I’m fairly sure Boatman doesn't set the Quick (but what do I know) though Paul I’m fairly certain does and his style is always evident.

Now you’ve mentioned the Quick, I should also say that the “Sy” puzzles on a Saturday never get a mention on this forum, but they are always interesting - GK based and mostly themed.
57 of 113  -   Report This Post

rocky7

16th December 2023, 16:58
Roof. Guardian is the definition in 19a. But I only got it when I got the crossers. And even then someone on here had to parse it for me.
58 of 113  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th December 2023, 17:30
"Okay, no doubt someone will come on and explain why I'm wrong in every one of these cases...." - ...and you all did, so I'm happy to admit my errors.

I did think that Strictly would be more well known among you all, hence my Len Goodman (RIP) "SEVEN" COD reference at @3 which, much like my Pauli "exclusion" joke a while back, seems to have gone totally unnoticed 😥
59 of 113  -   Report This Post

snowwhite

16th December 2023, 17:30
Er. I was talking about common usage which is perfectly acceptable in a crossword. And it is professional dance judges who called it the ???? occasionally.

Note by Admin - Word removed as it is an answer.
60 of 113  -   Report This Post