CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

daz

24th October 2023, 23:50
If an E is used instead of the Y in the last four letters of the answer, that word no longer means "very well".
41 of 48  -   Report This Post

luko

25th October 2023, 00:04
We’ll, I think I’ve got there, with a few nudges from the Forum - many thanks as ever.
Nobody has mentioned 14d, but it looks to me as if the last five letters are a word from the clue , which would best a significant faux pas in my book - have I got this wrong?
42 of 48  -   Report This Post

luko

25th October 2023, 00:18
I’ve got a tick in the app now so I must have 14d right- disappointing, and surprised it wasn’t mentioned here!

So I’ll finally get back to Saturdays prize (been busy with half term grandparenting is my excuse!) have a good week all, but I may be pleading for late assistance in that thread!
43 of 48  -   Report This Post

mattrom

25th October 2023, 00:26
Daz, re #41,
We are in agreement. My post related to Brendan's reference to the 4-letter ending, but could have read
"the (4-letter word with the) Y ending could be substituted for ..."
44 of 48  -   Report This Post

davidgoymour

25th October 2023, 06:31
Finally, early on Wednesday morning, the penny drops about 7d, and I think it's a brilliant clue, and not ambiguous.

Now I'm left puzzling over 16a, and I have E_N_A_I. Can anyone give me a hint, please?
45 of 48  -   Report This Post

jono

25th October 2023, 06:41
Hi David, it’s a language but your first E is wrong. That letter in 5d comes from “bravo”.
46 of 48  -   Report This Post

davidgoymour

25th October 2023, 07:08
Ah! Thanks, Jono – I'll have another look...
47 of 48  -   Report This Post

davidgoymour

25th October 2023, 07:27
Finally finished – and I agree with others, this Everyman was if anything tougher than this weekend's Prize puzzle. Thanks, Jono and others for guidance, which I always look at and don't always acknowledge.
48 of 48  -   Report This Post