CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

12th August 2023, 16:55
…that was for 5d
21 of 52  -   Report This Post

chrise

12th August 2023, 16:57
do you know, jono, i never knew what the first 4 letters meant!
22 of 52  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th August 2023, 16:58
micky, I think indirect anagram and ghost anagram are the same. You can find indirect anagram discussions via Google.

I don't mind this device and even use it in the Clueless and PR contests, but it's generally not considered kosher. Probably verboten in the Times, for instance.
23 of 52  -   Report This Post

jono

12th August 2023, 16:59
Hi Micky , it means a clue which requires you to derive a synonym for a word which you then need to make an anagram out of, (so a rather unfair two step process), rather than giving you the actual anagram fodder.
24 of 52  -   Report This Post

geeker

12th August 2023, 16:59

micky

12th August 2023, 17:05
OK, thanks for the explanations of ghost/indirect anagrams. I'm very well acquainted with them, but I just didn't know that name for them. They were generally regarded as unacceptable back in the days when Ximenean rules dominated, but I am perfectly happy with them.
26 of 52  -   Report This Post

cymro

12th August 2023, 17:30
Thanks Chrise/Micky for 3D.
27 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

12th August 2023, 17:45
Hi everyone

Once again I've found it very hard, despite getting 11ac straight away. Other clues I've found much harder. I still have four to get including 3d (I can't see the bound) as I've no idea about new media. My other three are:
9ac for which I have W???A, the latter from the hint above for 3d
2d, for which I have O???E?
27ac for which I have S?T?I?G, I'm assuming the definition is "in office"

..and then there are the many I've got but I can't fully parse like 1ac where I can't explain the fifth letter
14ac, which has been explained, but still I can't see it
22ac, which I can only partly parse
20d - a mystery to me
23d - again only partially parsed
24d - I'm familiar with the word, but cannot fully parse the answer
6d - I have an answer - Oh - I've just spotted the hidden, which I couldn't see before.

I sometimes just don't get on with Picaroon. I saw Oppenheimer last night and should have got 4d quicker.
28 of 52  -   Report This Post

roof

12th August 2023, 18:08
Apologies for the long thread above.

Since then, I think I have found the bound for 14ac and I've solved 2d.

Is 9ac a fictional factory owner; if so why?
29 of 52  -   Report This Post

davel

12th August 2023, 18:11
Hi Roof.

9 - defn factory owner, parses as 4 (to be informed, but reversed because of ‘about’) + 1 (answer)
3 - defn is last four words, parses as 6 (fashion designer) around 1 (usual use of ‘new’) + synonym for ‘bound’
2 - uses an obscure usage of the answer, but look at the first five words of the clue
27 - this I my COD, defn is ‘in office’ as in a president perhaps?

I’ll check back in later.

Best wishes, Dave
30 of 52  -   Report This Post