CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT41

philip

5th October 2010, 20:53
Hello everyone
My turn to start this week. I wondered where everyone had gone as we usually have a dozen posts by now, so presumably everyone found it as difficult as I did this week. I suspect they have recently changed the compiler, as once`again, we get a motorway reference.
Some pretty terrible clues this week, particularly 18a, because the word "woodwork" should in fact be "wood work". What a difference a space makes!!
I am still puzzling over the wordplay in 24a and 19d is just plain awful

PHILIP
1 of 47  -   Report This Post

torvic

5th October 2010, 21:43
It took me about an hour, with two phone call interruptions. I found 24a quite good, to dun is to pester for payment and established can be stable. I liked 12a and 20a, and I can remember hearing the sound of a 14d.
2 of 47  -   Report This Post

dg_gremlin

5th October 2010, 21:53
Hi folks,
I don't know how long it took this week - with picking it up and putting it down (and nodding off). Liked 8a and 12a. Don't know who 9d is but i've heard the name before. The wrodfinder was easy.
DG
3 of 47  -   Report This Post

philip

5th October 2010, 22:16
torvis
Thanks for the explanation. Never heard of a dun, but you learn something everyday
PHILIP
4 of 47  -   Report This Post

philip

5th October 2010, 22:18
Sorry torvic for the typo in your name
PHILIP
5 of 47  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

5th October 2010, 22:23
Good evening all,

I've read all your previous comments and agree with all of them. Philip, I totally
concur with your observation about 18a [I swore under my breath when I realised what the answer was] and you already know my thoughts about that particular motorway...

I too liked 8a, 12a and 20a and, just to put DG in the picture, the deceased actor may be familiar to you as the solicitor, Alec Callender, in 'May To September' or as DI Purbright in 'Murder Most English' - a television adaptation of one of the books of the late Colin Watson, who is one of my favourite authors.

With regards to you all,

Caravaggio
6 of 47  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

5th October 2010, 22:32
As an afterthought, you may be interested in going into your local bookshop to have a look through a book which I find invaluable - Jeff Evans' 'The Penguin TV Companion' - and, if you're suitably impressed, buy it! The previous reference to the actor was found within its pages and not from memory...
7 of 47  -   Report This Post

dg_gremlin

5th October 2010, 22:34
Hi Caravaggio,
yes i vaguely remember "May to December", He was the older balding guy. i had a crush on his co-star (was it Lesley Dunlop?). thanks for the memory jogger...
DG
8 of 47  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

5th October 2010, 22:42
Hi DG,

You're right! It was Lesley Dunlop but I've had to check The Penguin TV Companion again - I have the advantage of the whole cast listing for 'May To December'.

Time for bed!

Caravaggio
9 of 47  -   Report This Post

butterfly

6th October 2010, 00:46
Well I won't be last this week. Still stuck on 2 but I'm getting there. Will ask for help if I can't come up with anything. By the way does anyone get a newsletter if they click the box?
10 of 47  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT41