CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

11th February 2023, 14:55
I misspoke earlier...apparently there is a Pauline clue this week, #25...I previously thought it didn't make the cut. 🤣
31 of 56  -   Report This Post

johnnykingsman

11th February 2023, 15:43
Geeker, believe the production of 25 is often now chemically rather than surgically effected hence me having no objection to the Pauline reading of the clue. However, either way not a pleasant outcome for the recipient.
32 of 56  -   Report This Post

micky

11th February 2023, 16:46
Very enjoyable. For me, just about the right level: neither so easy as to be unchallenging nor so difficult as to be frustrating. There were several clues which were in the running for COD, but 4d eventually made it. The word play for 27/23 was very clever, but the clue was, in my opinion, spoilt by having such an easy definition. I don't agree with Chrise that O is the definition for 14: I reckon it's O for one. FOI 12/11, LOI 16/17.
33 of 56  -   Report This Post

freddycat

11th February 2023, 16:59
An enjoyable puzzle, great fun. The only one remaining is 14ac. I can think of several possibilities but I'm afraid I don't "get" the earlier hints, so any others much appreciated.
34 of 56  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th February 2023, 17:10
Hi Freddycat
You might be more familiar with the second word a (5) rather than (4) (though that probably doesn't help!)
Micky's inclusion of "for one" in the definition is correct.
35 of 56  -   Report This Post

davel

11th February 2023, 17:10
Hi freddycat. Definition (by example) given by the first three words. Fifth word of clue is a standard crossword abbreviation which should give you three of four letters of the second word of the answer.
Does that help? I’m trying not to give too much away.
36 of 56  -   Report This Post

freddycat

11th February 2023, 17:54
Many thanks davel and chrise, will ruminate on it...
37 of 56  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th February 2023, 18:12
Parses as [1 inside 6], followed by 2.
38 of 56  -   Report This Post

roof

11th February 2023, 18:52
Hi everybody

Started late as usual. Pleased it is a Paul. I've been working through at a slow but steady pace, but came to the forum to see if I could find any more hints. I think I have 16,17, but I'm waiting for more crossers and I can't parse 18d completely. I do like 2d.

I haven't got 12,11 yet, though I can see it is an anagram. I haven't got either 4d or 20d. It might help if I had a hint for 19ac. I've only got one crosser. I assume the definition of 26 across is some obscure Alaskan animal which is an anagram. I don't know what the standard abbreviation is for the fifth word in 14ac. Any help welcomed.

I thought I sent this an hour ago, but obviously not. I've done a few since including 7d and 26ac, which told me my answer for 18d was wrong, but I haven't got the right answer for it yet. I still can't get 12,11, 4d, 20d or 19ac. I'd particularly welcome a hint for 19ac as it may unlock some in the south-east corner. I don't understand why I can't fathom 12,11. I'll try the anagram again.
39 of 56  -   Report This Post

abz

11th February 2023, 19:16
I got off to a flying start and then ground to a halt! All finished now. Thanks for the hints. Enjoyed this a lot more than the one last week.
40 of 56  -   Report This Post