CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

11th February 2023, 00:57
A thoroughly enjoyable Prize puzzle from from Paul, full of wit and ingenuity.

I finished fairly quickly so I suppose it must be at the easier end of the scale but, that said, there are a couple of clues that caused me quite a bit of head scratching.

If you do get stuck there is at least one long anagram in the acrosses and at least one hidden in the downs.

I initially put 10a in the wrong way around so that held me up for a while and 26a was new to me.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the wordplay in 9d which seems to require a synonym for "place", but I can't see any instance where the word I chose could be swapped for it.

My final query is 20d where, thankfully, there is only one word that fits the letter pattern but I can't quite see the parsing.

COD - A four-way tie this week with 22d, 1a, 16/17a and the sublime 4d.

Thanks to Paul for a fun and witty start to the weekend.

Leave a comment letting us know how you got on and, if you get stuck, just post your query on here.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 56  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th February 2023, 01:04
Thanks to Paul.

I enjoyed this Prize but found it really easy. Despite being in poor form this week I finished remarkably quickly.
FOI 10, which I also got backward and had to correct.
LOI 7, though 5 is the clue that held me up longest.
COD tie between 1 and 5. Also liked 3, 18, 4 and 19.

Suspected a pangram, but no. Don't see a classic Pauline clue. One solution involved unfamiliar usage I had to verify.

20 I parsed as 4, 3 where the 3 is a word with first letter dropped and the usage of the 4 took a bit of thought.
2 of 56  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th February 2023, 01:11
In the hint category, more outright cryptic definitions than I'm used to.
3 of 56  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th February 2023, 01:14
Thanks Geeker,

That's great - It was the 4 that confused me but, on revisiting Chambers, I see it can mean 'a "suspension" of liquid in a gas'. Add to that the fact that the last 4 letters could also be a "test" with the addition of "current" and it had my head spinning!

I think a few people will get caught out by 10a, but, luckily, 3d is an absolute ????? 😂
4 of 56  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th February 2023, 01:18
I thought 3 was hilarious and it was very nearly COD.
5 of 56  -   Report This Post

rainman

11th February 2023, 01:49
Sadly, this was probably not the best week to have 19a as a clue. I guess the editor didn't notice it in time to swap it for another puzzle.
6 of 56  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th February 2023, 01:59
I see what you mean Rainman, very unfortunate.
7 of 56  -   Report This Post

johnnykingsman

11th February 2023, 05:43
I also found this one of Paul's gentler puzzles and solved fairly quickly - enjoyable nonetheless.
FOI was 1, aided by remembering what slightly humorous response you get if you put this word into Google's search engine.
I was another who kept looking at putting the 'current' into the last 4 of 20 to get a different test but my LOI was actually 14 - not difficult but for a long time the penny wouldn't drop.
COD for me 4.
Thanks Paul and Brendan.
8 of 56  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th February 2023, 08:27
I've only just started, but hasn't he got the definition in 25d completely wrong?
9 of 56  -   Report This Post

johnnykingsman

11th February 2023, 09:17
Chrise
25, seems fine to me - I had 3,2 with the 2 being a cricketing term.
10 of 56  -   Report This Post