CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

27th August 2022, 18:32
rpchamb
Same here with the piano lessons ! Feeling my age now :)
61 of 134  -   Report This Post

rpchambe

27th August 2022, 18:36
Now for the search for the praying mantises and the theme. I can't believe I have so many answers and yet can see no connections.
62 of 134  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th August 2022, 18:40
rpchambe
The praying mantis (H,G) is in Chambers as per my previous post
Theme is just fore*****s
63 of 134  -   Report This Post

pauly

27th August 2022, 18:41
Jazzgirl
You can't stop me being impressed :-)
However, I had an Uncle who could usually do the prize without reference to the web or thesaurus; eye sight failed in the end so that he couldn't read the print - he was gutted. One of the most intelligent and and gentle people I have ever known - Michael Healy - he is on Wiki, if you want to look him up.
He got this lovely Araucaria clue without being able to see it or any letters - Ursine perambulation (5,3,5,3,6)
64 of 134  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th August 2022, 18:47
Pauly
Michael Healy - now he was certainly one to be admired.
I often have to check in Chambers, wordsolve, and thesaurus, so not in the league of your Uncle and I never will be !
65 of 134  -   Report This Post

roof

27th August 2022, 18:56
Well done Jazzgirl

I started after lunch only stopping to get the washing in and put away this morning's garden tools. So far I have nineteen or twenty. Usually at this stage I start putting the answers in the grid, but unfortuately, I haven't spotted the theme yet. I shall look again at those you suggested that I've got.

The grids aren't exactly designed to give an obvious lead-in apart from the two thirteens go in only one grid. I have got one of the 12s, but not the other and three out of four of the 11s.

I've spotted lots of references to religion, though I don't know the X saint.

I've checked out the Chambers page you've given, but can't see another name for a praying mantis there beginning with H that is 10,3. My googling has been in vain. But, I have learned a lot about them.

Apart from the generous hints you have already given, please can I have a hint for a couple to help me sort them out.

L2. My husband, who is musical wasn't able to help me out here.
M1.
Q1 and Q2
I'm assuming Chris isn't bothering with this one. But where is Brendan?
66 of 134  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th August 2022, 19:07
Hi roof
Plenty of clues here for L2
M1 one could go surfing on this (at sea)
Q One is a man's name; the other is an alternative name for the Oak
67 of 134  -   Report This Post

quisling

27th August 2022, 19:11
#64, that is a nice Araucaria clue. He’s much missed
68 of 134  -   Report This Post

pauly

27th August 2022, 19:18
Jazzgirl
Nor will I. Also need to buy a Chambers and Roget's after stupidly getting rid in a clear-out.
69 of 134  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

27th August 2022, 19:22
Well, it is now time for me to have a bit of R and R as I am getting tired (still no grids started - tomorrow is another day)
70 of 134  -   Report This Post