CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

30th July 2022, 16:58
Many thanks Jazzgirl

I'm certainly familiar with that meaning of Queen.

Finding it hard today, but that is because I'm trying to do too many things at once. On our way back from our short break with family in Shropshire yesterday, I bought 20 punnets of strawberries for £8.00 in Herefordshire. So I'm currently making my first batch of jam, just four punnets! I did loads of washing this morning and unpacked.

I'm also very tired as the five days were very busy and I didn't get much sleep.

I only got three on the first read through (which took me ages) and one of them was wrong. So, I'm not finding it that easy I'll look at the hints so far and see if I can get any more.

I need hints to finish, so please don't stop them. I never send it in unless it is all my own work, and even then the prize is spectacularly unspectacular.
51 of 65  -   Report This Post

richardk

30th July 2022, 21:09
Roof I’ve been getting into jam-making in recent years (a middle-age thing i think!) and in almost all cases, I’ve found it possible to reduce the sugar in any official recipe by about a third, and still get a great jam that tastes even more of the key ingredient. We have a small gooseberry bush which yielded 500g of gooseberries this year, which I jammed with just 300g sugar and a dash of lemon juice. The result has been 3 jars of really zingy jam. Brilliant flavour but not cloyingly sweet.

As for the crossword, absolutely loved it, some really witty clues.
52 of 65  -   Report This Post

dhope

30th July 2022, 22:07
Stick with it Roof , I usually find Paul difficult but I
started late and have just finished. Some very clever and amusing clues , COD 24a .
53 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

30th July 2022, 22:15
Hi RichardK

My husband won't eat gooseberries in any form. So far this year I've made raspberry and Loganberry jam. I no longer grow gooseberries. The blackberries are still to come, but the crop looks poor this year - much too dry.

But today, I have been defeated by the crossword. I've done about half, but just want to sleep. First batch of jam made, but a busy day tomorrow. I always reduce the sugar content a bit, but not quite as much as you. My grandmother's blackcurrant jam always crystallised from too much sugar.

Please can I have a hint for 12ac, 5d and 22ac. This might help me get some more if I can keep my eyes open.
54 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

30th July 2022, 22:19
I should have said 22d. Needless to say, I haven't got 8,6,22ac,27. But I have got 24ac.
55 of 65  -   Report This Post

geeker

30th July 2022, 22:24
12: defn. "a mountain" (somewhat vague), parses as 5 ("old writer" - noun) inside 4 ("peak in Jerusalem). It's difficult. I think of the solution as a "very large number".
56 of 65  -   Report This Post

geeker

30th July 2022, 22:26
5: defn. "throwing things from pram", parses as 4 (backward instrument) inside 4 (wheeze - verb).
57 of 65  -   Report This Post

geeker

30th July 2022, 22:38
22d: defn "blood and water, etc", parses as 2 ("that" - abbr) inside 4 (last letter dropped from "rinse").
58 of 65  -   Report This Post

roof

30th July 2022, 23:17
Many thanks Geeker

I think I've finished now. One or two I'm not sure about the parsing, but at least I can take the matchsticks out of my eyes and go to bed.

The breakthrough for me was my husband checking in his geology dictionary for minerals beginning with X,Y or Z. That then led to getting the long 8 etc one and hence the rest.

Interestingly, I had thought of the old writer for 12ac, but I wrestled with the Jerusalem peak. It came to me and your hint about a very large number helped.

My FOI was 4d, my LOI was 7d. MyCOD was 11ac. I am usually on Paul's wavelength, but not today. I found it difficult between the yawns.
59 of 65  -   Report This Post

korppi

31st July 2022, 03:36
I'm a regular lurker, but this is only my second post (I think). Brendan, I am incredibly grateful for the hints as the thread starts, as it helps get me going when struggling - which is fairly often. So, I am also very glad of this forum - so thanks to all contributors.

I found this Paul to be easier than most, although not as amusingly groan-inducing as usual. COD 24A which did raise a smile.
60 of 65  -   Report This Post