CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

30th April 2022, 18:50
Hi everyone

I was so excited about seeing Paul as the setter, but it took me a while to get going. I'd had trouble solving the quick crossword over our very late lunch. I couldn't spell dekko! I thought it was decko.

My FOI was 4,24. I couldn't parse it immediately, but once I did it made me laugh and will be my favourite.

Having said all that, I still have four I can't get: 3d, 13ac (though there is a hint somewhere in this thread, but what is the definition?), 23d and 22d, though again there is a hint on the thread for 22d, so I think I'll go with the wine. I think I may have just got 23d - there were two of them I believe? So please may I have a further hint for 13ac and 3d.
31 of 60  -   Report This Post

rocky7

30th April 2022, 18:52
Hi Pauly

Went for a long walk along Teignmouth sea front and came back to the answer staring me in the face. I was thinking the answer was a writer but I think I was also sulking a bit due to the number of answers I didn't know. Anyhow all in all a good puzzle. COD for me a typical Pauliner. 20,10.

32 of 60  -   Report This Post

rocky7

30th April 2022, 18:54
Roof 13a.

Confectionery. The lips are...? It
33 of 60  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th April 2022, 18:56
3D: definition is "arctic" and parses as 3,3. The first 3 is a fairly loose synonym though!

13A: definition is "confectionery"

Sounds like you have the right answers for the other 2.
34 of 60  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th April 2022, 18:57
13A is more of a "say what you see" clue rather than &lit
35 of 60  -   Report This Post

roof

30th April 2022, 19:36
Many thanks Rocky 7 and PDMS

I felt very stupid when I got 13ac. It was the very first answer I thought for this clue, but I dismissed it as it had two uses for confectionary. Isn't that against the rules? I'm still thinking about 3d.

I had difficulty parsing quite a few. I didn't know the abreviation for cocoa, I can't parse 12ac, I don't know any mystic symbols but I'm sure I've got it right, and I can't explain the first three letters in 22ac. I asked my husband for a 7 letter Italian city. He gave me the right answer but I dismissed it as not being in Italy proper.

Other favourites were the two very long ones; they were enormously helpful. And 14ac and 20d.

Just got 3d, another obvious one, though I can't see the land or the tax. Oh yes I can! So I've finished.

Lucky you Rocky 7 to get in a long walk along Teignmouth beach. I can't walk far at the moment as I've pulled a muscle in my calf as a result of overstretching to relieve my back. Old age is such a joy!

I've really enjoyed this crossword. I think it is because I like Paul best.

36 of 60  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th April 2022, 19:43
It's not an abbreviation for cocoa it's cocoa extremely :) It took me way too long to get considering I was drinking it while doing the crossword lol.

12A the mystic symbol is a name for norse/germanic alphabetic characters associated with mysticism these days (and Tolkien was a big fan).

Ha ha the anti robot thing just asked me to click on all the pictures of tractors! Very topical :)
37 of 60  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th April 2022, 19:47
I wasn't drinking cocoa, I was drinking the answer of course ;)
38 of 60  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

30th April 2022, 20:13
22A parses as 4'1, 2 all reversed, so the first 3 letters are the reversed 2 and the bit after the apostrophe in the 4'1
39 of 60  -   Report This Post

feebee

30th April 2022, 21:27
Iā€™m doing better than I expected after my first read through.

Stuck in bottom left and top right corrners now. Please could I have a hint for 20,10 to see if that unsticks me. Thank you. šŸ˜Š
40 of 60  -   Report This Post