CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT36

nimrod

1st September 2010, 19:28
Happy Birthday Old Gal!
Not yet received the RT due to the Bank Holiday, but had expected it today. Questions will be asked if it does not appear tomorrow.
11 of 37  -   Report This Post

crypto

1st September 2010, 20:48
Bought the RT today to have a go at the crossword, just struggling on 17d at the moment - I'll have another look at it when I go to bed tonight.

Thought the reference in this thread to some answers being a bit tenuous in relation to the clues is interesting - I can't actually recall any like that, so would be interested to know any examples which you think might fit that description.
12 of 37  -   Report This Post

karen

1st September 2010, 22:51
Hi Crypto,I found it a bit odd this week also,the 17d (if it helps,took me a while,) is a french aviator,famous in the early 1900's,rather than a form of transport. Hope that helps!
13 of 37  -   Report This Post

philip

2nd September 2010, 01:22
Crypto

For tenuous clues try 18a. Too much info that is very clumsy.
15a ditto
16a Would question the use of the word "extremely" when you actually see the answer.
Others may have better examples but I think what I am saying is that in cryptic, it is normal for EVERY word to count. In these 3 cases they dont
PHILIP

14 of 37  -   Report This Post

philip

2nd September 2010, 02:02
Ignore my comment about 16a. I got it wrong and have just seen the significance
PHILIP
15 of 37  -   Report This Post

crypto

2nd September 2010, 08:55
Karen - re 17d when I originally looked at it I could see two words that fit one of which turned out to be the answer, just didn't relate it to the clue at first. When I looked at it later I did make the connection and then of course wondered why I hadn't done so before. Thanks for the hint though.
16 of 37  -   Report This Post

crypto

2nd September 2010, 09:02
Philip - re tenuous clues (15a and 18a) I've just had another look at them and think they are ok. I can't see any surplus words or any that don't relate pretty clearly to the answer. Difficult to expand on this without revealing the answers (which may be a bit early yet) but happy to return to this later if you want.
17 of 37  -   Report This Post

chris4foodr

2nd September 2010, 16:00
Hi All, and belated birthday greetings Old Gal - dare one ask the dreaded question???? Anyway, have a lovely time in Ireland - by the way, did the black stuff refer to Clonakilty black pudding???
Found this week's comparatively easy - but really struggled on 17d - had to resort to a Google after the assistance of 1900s French aviator] completely missed that - was on a different plane altogther.... Good to see there's no men behaving badly...
Chris
18 of 37  -   Report This Post

mondrian

2nd September 2010, 17:07
Greetings everyone. Happy birthday, Old gal, for when you come home and also hope you have or have had a good holiday. By the way did you enjoy your last trip to The Cotswolds and have you started on the quilt inspired by Broadway Boogie Woogie by my namesake?

Karen thank you for the info on the old flyer. Meantime I am still stuck on 2D and 24A.
19 of 37  -   Report This Post

karen

2nd September 2010, 17:20
Hi Mondrian, 2d anagram of loot+bicker.
24a is to "???" someone (fddle),followed by something more solid. Or to make something smaller.Hope that helps!
20 of 37  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT36