CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

puzzled

25th March 2009, 20:18
Hi, Big Ted, Is that Forty ?
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

puzzled

25th March 2009, 20:19
Sorry, Should have been Big Dave !!
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

big dave

25th March 2009, 21:33
The answer is COLONY - : = colon

I thought it was very clever, and missed it completely first-time round. The moral is always ignore punctuation - except that once in a while when it is important. How do you know when? I can't answer that.
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

puzzled

25th March 2009, 22:08
Thanks, Big Dave.

Settlement = Colony
so Figure = Colon
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

big dave

25th March 2009, 22:29
It's always difficult to follow a thread when it goes across two pages, so I'll explain again:

“Settlement: unknown figure (6)”

Settlement = COLONY

: = COLON and Y = unknown figure, as in algebra

Setters use unknown, unknown figure, variable etc. for x, y or z (but hardly ever for any other letters).
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th March 2009, 22:46
I think puzzled is taking the piss.
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

puzzled

26th March 2009, 14:41
No, Trevor, I would never do that!

I could understand the answer being COLONY to represent settlement.
I realised the Y represented Unknown, but I did not know that colon could also represent an unknown figure. Knowing that Y represented unknown, I was seeking confirmation that colon could represent a figure.

The advice one gets from this forum from such people as Big Dave, Royston Bowden, yourself and others is too valuable to be trifled with.
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th March 2009, 14:52
the ":" doesn't represent a figure, it translates to the word "colon" followed by the "y".
Sorry I misread your intentions
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

big dave

26th March 2009, 15:06
It can be very difficult to "take the piss" in the written word. On my blog I posed the question "can anyone tell me at what point an illegal immigrant becomes an asylum seeker?" and I had a response from someone who took me seriously.
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

puzzled

26th March 2009, 18:42
Thank You, Trevor. Having gone back to Big Dave's original post I managed to spot the colon (:) which I had missed first time round. Also, first time round I failed to count the number of letters hence my original submisstion of Fort (for settlement) followed by Y (for unknown) making Forty (for figure.)
Your "sorry" accepted. Life is too shortfor feeling prickly.
Colin
20 of 21  -   Report This Post