CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

krisstoff

25th March 2009, 14:39
hi! i have some real puzzlers,here,are you ready? ,then let's go! first of all,"means of entering hotel after hours",pattern,n---t/-e--,then,"RELATING TO THE ELEMENT WITH ATOMIC N0 52", PATTERN----U---S,THEN,"SMALL LIQUID CAPACITY",PATTERN,--T-L-T--,AND THEN,"NOT DIFFICULT TO APPROACH",PATTERN,A--/-T-B/--,then finally,"the study of hypothetical advancements",pattern,f-t-r-r---,all help appreciated,krisstoff.
1 of 21  -   Report This Post

iain(edinburgh)

25th March 2009, 15:01
Hi! Could the first one be -Night Keys?
2 of 21  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th March 2009, 15:18
the study of hypothetical advancements - futurism or futurist ??

Atomic element 52 is Tellurium - not sure how "relating to" might change the spelling.

Small liquid capacity looks like it might end with litre, but I can only think of mili or centi neither of which fit.
3 of 21  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th March 2009, 15:27
sorry, I see the futurism etc answers I gave won't fit.
Try Futurology.

btw - It would be much easier for poor sighted people like me if you started each new query on a new line.
All the best, trevor
4 of 21  -   Report This Post

big dave

25th March 2009, 15:44
krisstoff

I echo Trevor's comments, and add these:

1. the length of the answer helps - you'd be surprised how many times a pattern is given incorrectly

2. dashes are very difficult to count, especially for Trevor and myself

The net result is I often have to cut and paste the question before I can read it properly.

I resubmit your questions, but please make sure I haven't made any mistakes:

"Means of entering hotel after hours (5,3)" N???T ?E??

"Relating to the element with atomic No 52 (9)" ????U???S

"Small liquid capacity (9)" ??T?L?T??

"Not difficult to approach (3,4,2)" A?? ?T?B ??

"The study of hypothetical advancements (10)" F?T?R?R???
5 of 21  -   Report This Post

big dave

25th March 2009, 15:54
I am inclined to agree with Iain for the first one, and with Trevor for the last. The second one is, I think, Tellurous. As for the others, I fear you may have a letter or two wrong.
6 of 21  -   Report This Post

krisstoff

25th March 2009, 16:58
thanx,big dave. i feel that "nightbell" is the correct one for 5 down,as it crosses well with "tellurous",but the one that is still nagging me is the 16 down clue which goes"not hard to approach",and pattern is 3 words,the 1st is a-t,then -t, then thirdly,-b-e,puzzling......
7 of 21  -   Report This Post

krisstoff.

25th March 2009, 17:05
oh,ps,big dave ,one answer i got for "small liquid capacity",was HECTOLITRE,it fits like a glove,i had an alternative(well, original!) source for that one though,krisstoff.
8 of 21  -   Report This Post

trevor

25th March 2009, 17:34
If I can quote Big Dave -

"1. the length of the answer helps - you'd be surprised how many times a pattern is given incorrectly"

NOT DIFFICULT TO APPROACH",PATTERN,A--/-T-B/--
Your initial post suggests,(3,4,2)
I think it could be - Get-At-Able (3,2,4).

SMALL LIQUID CAPACITY",PATTERN,--T-L-T--
If you have Hectolitre as the answer then it is 10 letters, rather than 9.

p.s In which case I think centilitre is a better answer.
9 of 21  -   Report This Post

big dave

25th March 2009, 18:12
My prophesy came true rather more quickly than I expected.

GET-AT-ABLE is in Chamber's, and if given as (3-2-4) would have been a lot easier to solve.

It may seem that Trevor and I are being pedantic, but most cryptic crosswords are so precise these days that even the smallest misquotation can cause problems.

I offer you this lovely clue from the Telegraph in January:

“Settlement: unknown figure (6)”

The punctuation forms 5/6ths of the answer (the 6th one being "y" - unknown figure). Leave it out and you destroy the clue.
10 of 21  -   Report This Post