CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rrrobbo

17th April 2018, 07:56
I got 5 of the perimeter quite quickly having seen the potential word link after 3. I then spent 2 days searching for the song before the penny dropped it the shower. Not a fan as such but loved the film and have several songs, including the main one here, on my playlist. As ever, feeling rather stupid! After all that I certainly won’t be completing all the radials, especially with the sun out and the garden in dire need.
41 of 76  -   Report This Post

simond9x

17th April 2018, 14:58
Whilst I generally enjoyed this one, it seemed the wrong way round to me. The PDM came pretty early on, giving two entire rings and most, if not all, of the extra letters. This just left a hard slog to complete the radials. Personally, I prefer the hard slog to come first followed by the PDM, or sometimes PDMs, during the denouement.
42 of 76  -   Report This Post

gazzar

17th April 2018, 16:12
I started this late (still stuck on this week's EV!) and with the help of many on here have just reached my PDM. Some of the perimeter answers and the shape of the puzzle itself gave the singer and some of my already completed radial answers led to the nickname and songs.
Even though I've many residues to enter I feel, in common with some other contributors, like I can't stomach the hard slog needed to complete it.
43 of 76  -   Report This Post

meursault

17th April 2018, 16:49
I didn't mind it. Quite a few unfamiliar words, which is one of the main reasons why I do crosswords. As to the 'grind' in order to complete the radials, I found a reasonable method for the entries with one letter missing. That was to load Chambers anagram with the 5 letters I had, plus extra letter, then work through A-Z for the 7th letter. Actually a surprisingly quick and painless process, and checking eligibility was a straightforward match against the sequence of letters already entered.

But for anyone who doesn't want to go through with that, I encourage you to just ask. That's what the help forum is for.
44 of 76  -   Report This Post

sunray

17th April 2018, 18:07
If someone can confirm the following:
I have the singer as 6,4. The song lines go around in circle 3 with Y in Radial 1 and the first word of the title in 2-5.
Also from misprints I have the nickname as 3,2,5.
Song starts in Radial 6.

The misprints give me starting letters of the first song as as F?V.
Are those letters correct?
I have R as misprint for 18 and no song fits.

Any hint on Radial 15, 17 welcome.
Thanks.
45 of 76  -   Report This Post

keepatit

17th April 2018, 18:36
sunray, you are fine until the misprints of the first song. The first letter is F, but the V is incorrect for 13. It’s a hidden reversed clue. R is indeed the misprint in 18
46 of 76  -   Report This Post

meursault

17th April 2018, 18:37
Sunray, singer correct, circle 3 correct, nickname correct, song correct.
1st song begins FOL; 18 extra letter is R
15 Distinctive character is aura
17 Jock (kind of insulting and should be beyond Listener setters) denotes Scottish. Both words, 'very' and 'stiff' in Scottish lingo. Very is AE, I'll leave you to find 'stiff' - it's an unusual definition of a very well-used word...
47 of 76  -   Report This Post

sunray

17th April 2018, 18:51
Thank you keepatit and Meursault.

I had viaduct at 13 (anagram of Ducati) but got it now.
I think I have the song, as 6,6,5.

Scottish words are always difficult. Even Glosbe is no help.

But I have enough to go on for a while.
48 of 76  -   Report This Post

turast

18th April 2018, 00:10
Regarding this artiste and his excellent rendition of a "Nine Inch Nails" song, does anybody know the identity of his "Swedish friend"?
49 of 76  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

18th April 2018, 11:01
Ace of hearts is now officially, by some distance, my least favourite setter.

Was defeated by one letter on their last effort due to being unfamiliar with all Honduran villages, funnily enough. Have now spent longer on 14 than the rest of this puzzle. Have only read the first few posts on here so haven’t seen any hints yet, still trying to solve it myself. Would be grateful if someone could confirm or correct the following, without giving any more away:

The answer reads inwards (wasted the first hour as I had an error elsewhere which led to me thinking this was an outwards)
Letters are n-Uela with an s to be added.
I suspect lan is in there as the short narrow road, although it could be ruel.

Thanks
50 of 76  -   Report This Post