CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

djawhufc

6th March 2018, 14:48
If you look in Chambers it is just the name of an American bird
31 of 35  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

6th March 2018, 15:19
Thanks Daniel, I googled it and got nothing, forgot to look in dictionary.
32 of 35  -   Report This Post

jigjag

6th March 2018, 19:45
orson

I agree with your excellent analysis. There were lots of clever aspects to this puzzle even thought it was one of the easier ones. 22A is clunky, but read well and 21A was neat, a phrase I have heard many times in the golf club. A short sweet clever clue. The treble definition clue 31A was also very good

You are right to say I was cleverly misled. When I got Lemmon, I looked for Curtis and found him, and jumped to the erroneous conclusion that the "Odd Couple" was involved with all its possibilies for anagrams, odd pair of letters etc. Luckily, malone ordered me to adandon that trail.

EVs cannot be considered poor although there have been errors of late as discussed here. Also the degree of difficulty varies, as mentioned by one of my favourite setters Chalicea mentioned here recently. I complete about half of them. If the setter is Chalicea, Piccadilly, Samuel, Gaston or some others ,I will always have a go. if it is Ifor, Oxymoron, Shark Kcit, I dont even start as I know it will be too difficult for me. It is our choice.

I also agree with the comments of malone and teenieleek
33 of 35  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

6th March 2018, 20:54
I agree it was an easy one, but that's ok for me. The tough ones are incomprehensible, so not much more enjoyable.

Luckily I spotted Monroe first and then saw what the bottom row had to be. I loved the title of the puzzle. Very clever.
34 of 35  -   Report This Post

crassnsilly

19th March 2018, 17:15
I wanted to point out that the clues in Enigmatic Variations are generally dull, short of wit or humour, as though they were dashed off in the setter's lunch hour.
The person who replied with this comment:
"You're not someone who's had a submission rejected by any chance?" should apologise to other contributors for his or her small-minded jibe.
35 of 35  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1320