CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

betty2

14th January 2018, 01:40
The '39' does look like a mistake then, doesn't it.

Other thing I don't get is how are we to be expected to look for the acrostic, since there's zero to suggest it? Just blindly give it a shot, since sometimes puzzles use the device?

So a trivial gridfill followed by blind guessing and a mistake in the instructions. Seems a pretty unsatisfactory puzzle all round.
41 of 73  -   Report This Post

tomsdad

14th January 2018, 11:22
Whilst it is true that the gridfill in this was at the easier end of the inquisitor scale, I am often amazed at the things other people on this forum can see in the clues that initially I cannot. Sometimes it is multiple letters in one cell, sometimes required knowledge of old TV sketches that I have never heard of, and sometimes acrostics. Although frustrating, they add up to the richness of the inquisitor experience and are the reason I look forward to it every week.

But there does appear to be a mismatch here between the preamble and the acrostic here that could easily have been sorted out pre-publication.
42 of 73  -   Report This Post

nelson

14th January 2018, 11:46
tomsdad - I share your amazement every week. I didn't even know there was an acrostic to look for! I only have the two places and what connects them.
43 of 73  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

14th January 2018, 13:33
The cells of the two places and what joins them add up to 39 for me.
44 of 73  -   Report This Post

nelson

14th January 2018, 13:50
so, please, where is the instruction?
45 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

14th January 2018, 14:04
Nelson, the first letters of the clues...
46 of 73  -   Report This Post

marca

14th January 2018, 14:04
Nelson, first letters of clues. Teenieleeks, what about the agent mentioned in the preamble?
47 of 73  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

14th January 2018, 14:17
Oops.....forgot about that.
48 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

14th January 2018, 14:26
I wonder if the C-word is the 'object' and the T-word is the 'agent'? (I don't think it's great, but if I put them together (T+C) as the object, then there doesn't appear to be an agent.

I knew where the message was likely to be - it's been there in previous Chalicea puzzles - but I feel some sort of indication might have been fairer.
49 of 73  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

14th January 2018, 14:49
Could it be the other way round Malone? Object meaning where they're aiming for i.e transatlantic and agent being the means of sending the message. Whichever, it's a bit iffy.

I spent ages looking in the grid for the message "eastern" letters of answers, across answers etc. I'll know next time.
50 of 73  -   Report This Post