CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

2nd October 2017, 17:45
Hi pegster, in 5 of the 6 ringed cells there is only 1 alternative letter and in conjunction with 14a you should easily see the necessary change to the 6th to get "the organisation".
11 of 27  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2017, 17:45
Just change them all to something v appropriate,forming new words. The 'director'...
12 of 27  -   Report This Post

pegster83

2nd October 2017, 18:03
Thank you! Got it now. Was over-complicating it and trying to make the new words created, also thematic.
13 of 27  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

4th October 2017, 07:21
As always I am well behind everybody else with this and I am getting to the stage where i think I should not even start the EV each week. I still need two answers - 16 across which I think is Tardis but can't see why and 3 down ( Clans of Douglas which have Irish relatives dancing at first - 5 letters ). If 16 across is Tardis then I would have th??d for 3 down. Those are the least of my problems. From the correct letters I have a four letter word then LL? then an eight letter word. In the down clues I cannot work out the correct letter in 5 down and I am not sure about T being the correct letter in six down. ( Fools to Tools? ) Also does the first word of the instruction mean drawing a big circle in the grid or circling four words individually? Before I tear out what remaining hair I have any heavy hints/pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.
14 of 27  -   Report This Post

ginge

4th October 2017, 07:32
Hi alwayspuzzled,
16a is TARDIS (I thought a bit weak) with town => down.
3d clans => class (modern rhyming slang Douglas Hurd).
I have the 2nd word as AL?.
5d Juliet => Joliet (in America).
6d yes, fools => tools.
I took the instruction to mean ring individually similar to highlighting.
Hope this helps, you're luckier than me; I've been bald for quite some time !
15 of 27  -   Report This Post

ginge

4th October 2017, 07:33
Sorry alwayspuzzled, a typo which would throw you. I have the 2nd word as OL?.
16 of 27  -   Report This Post

gazzar

4th October 2017, 08:35
Hi alwayspuzzled,

16a: as ginge says - look at the thematic Down clue!

I have a completed grid and (I think) all the misprints. I understand what to do in the 1st instruction but, despite the hints given earlier, I am still stuck on how to carry out the the 2nd instruction, making the new words. Any help gratefully received!

Also... 21d: 'Grail in Kent town'. The misprint is an N. Is the answer really a Kent town? (or is it in Sussex?)
17 of 27  -   Report This Post

ginge

4th October 2017, 09:38
Hi gazzar, I agree it's in East Sussex, perhaps the setter was confused with it having a TN postcode [Tonbridge (Wells)] which is in Kent.
Refer to my earlier post.;You're possibly looking for something complicated but it's merely the organisation that 14a was the director of and the "platform" for the 4 ringed from the 1st instruction.
18 of 27  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

4th October 2017, 14:50
Many thanks for the help Ginge and Gazzar. I can now see how to complete the first instruction but need to read through what has been said about the second one.
19 of 27  -   Report This Post

gazzar

5th October 2017, 07:08
All done now - I could kick myself for not seeing the replacement letters earlier.
Thanks ginge and malone!
20 of 27  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1298