CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

nikki

4th September 2017, 21:01
Pendragon - I posted earlier this morning, I have been out all day and just returned to the puzzle. You replied to my post at the beginning that I was on the right track, and I could fully justify my answer. I am now completely floored when you post that the centre of Birmingham is not 'in'...
I see I still have a long way to go...
21 of 59  -   Report This Post

martin

4th September 2017, 21:44
I've completed the grid, correctly I hope, but I've no idea what the central letter might be, or how it might be connected with the other nine (two of which are the same, in my version, at least). I've been staring at the thing for a long time now, and the light refuses to dawn. I'd be grateful if someone could give me a hint, preferably a less than subtle one, as well......
22 of 59  -   Report This Post

notrab

4th September 2017, 21:53
Add the same letter to give abbreviations.
23 of 59  -   Report This Post

martin

4th September 2017, 22:00
Thank you, I'll try that.
24 of 59  -   Report This Post

martin

4th September 2017, 23:12
I still don't get it, I'm afraid. I think I'll sleep on it, In the meantime, any further hints will be gratefully accepted (in the morning). Thank you.
25 of 59  -   Report This Post

notrab

5th September 2017, 09:06
I had suggested in 11 and 23 that the answer might be to add the centre square letter to the nine letter clashes to give abbreviations. But I now see that there are at least two letters that would work!
26 of 59  -   Report This Post

puzzledbadger

5th September 2017, 09:34
Sleep on it ... it will dawn on you!

All finished except 27d. Any hints?
27 of 59  -   Report This Post

peterm

5th September 2017, 09:54
In 27dn, budgerigars could just as easily have been cats, or dogs.

I don't really see where the abbreviations come from for the replacement letters. They are the initial letters of 9 proper nouns that form an exclusive group. There can only be one letter, again the initial letter of a proper noun, that can plausibly go in the middle, but I don't see where abbreviations fit in.
28 of 59  -   Report This Post

puzzledpom

5th September 2017, 10:30
I'm nearly finished, theme and all, but stuck on 19d and 29a (despite Forum hints). All other relevant letters in place, apart from where these two clues cross. I have a spare "u" to use somewhere in these answers, unless I've gone seriously awry elsewhere.

All help gratefully received.
29 of 59  -   Report This Post

aspria

5th September 2017, 11:21
Not clear to me whether to enter original answers when submitting or the 18 "valid new words"
30 of 59  -   Report This Post