CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mamya

12th June 2010, 17:40
A very beautiful image, I finally tracked it down.
31 of 51  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

12th June 2010, 20:28
Hey Dunce I know nothing about military manoeuvres but caracol is spanish for snail's shell, perhaps the shape of the manoeuvre?
32 of 51  -   Report This Post

dunce

12th June 2010, 21:28
Actually, it's simply "snail" in Spanish. Snail-shell would be "cáscara del caracol". I can't imagine what the connection is. My point in posting that somewhat pompous-looking explanation about military tactics was to make a sort of oblique observation on the whole business of word-puzzles: for some people, it seems, the most important thing is just to identify the word indicated, the solution, then move on. Somehow, I think the setters of the Macmillan quiz would be mortified to learn that their efforts were in any way associated with an unseemly blog squabble. Isn't the whole point of doing such puzzles, ultimately, to expand one's knowledge? Isn't that what the setters aim for? Are they complete fools for believing that those who solve their puzzles actually spend any time at all digesting the new words they have learned? Apparently they are.
33 of 51  -   Report This Post

jimc

12th June 2010, 22:04
I don't like to eat caracol - so won't be digesting it anytime soon!

JimC
34 of 51  -   Report This Post

the joker

12th June 2010, 22:11
Dunce
Re your latest posting,do you not feel that the main point of this quiz is to raise money for cancer,not the other reasons given by you.
TJ
35 of 51  -   Report This Post

jimc

12th June 2010, 22:17
OMG!

Have I posted into a squabble?

And I thought it was just a normal thread.

Will teach me not to read the whole thing.

BW to All.
JimC
36 of 51  -   Report This Post

terry

12th June 2010, 22:47
The Joker is,of course,right. The trouble is that raising money is also the main aim of many of the quiz participants. The fact that quite a few participants are utterly incapable of answering more than a few questions is neither here nor there. Many make not the slightest effort themselves. They simply get the answers here. This is not very fair on those who do try.

One solution would be to print the answers on the reverse of the quiz sheet and ask the participants to promise not to look at them. or at any rate ,not until they had really really tried to do themself for at least 30 seconds. This would turn the quiz into a sort of glorified raffle but at least it would be fair.
37 of 51  -   Report This Post

jimc

12th June 2010, 22:53
That's a terrific idea Terry!

Though I fear that it might be against whatever rules & regulations govern these sorts of quizzes, as it would discriminate against people who cannot read backwards.

Or could they use 2 mirrors?

JimC
38 of 51  -   Report This Post

the joker

12th June 2010, 23:00
Terry. Another alternative would be to ban all questions relating to quizzes from this forum which,lest we forget,is a crossword help forum.
Don't suppose this would help as some people would use alternative sites in their greed to win the usually monetary prize.
It could be that your solution of printing the answers is maybe the best one.
TJ
39 of 51  -   Report This Post

terry

12th June 2010, 23:00
Hm,good point there JimC,

Perhaps the solution would be multiple choice answers. you know the sort of thing. Is the motorway that runs from London to Leeds (and back again) A the M1, or B the Pan-American Highway.
40 of 51  -   Report This Post