CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jogamel

2nd April 2017, 09:54
Is everyone on top of this except me? Help please with 4d: crowd of yokels avoided spot all the time, once (6) I have M?N??T
1 of 33  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

2nd April 2017, 10:03
The answer is mongst

It is one of the answers that eventually need another letter.

A very clever puzzle with a lot of tricks.

Shout if you need any more.
2 of 33  -   Report This Post

muraria

2nd April 2017, 10:05
Hi jogamel,
It's 'mong' dialect for crowd + st (voided 'spot'). Most down clues need an 'a' adding or removing.
3 of 33  -   Report This Post

jogamel

2nd April 2017, 10:11
Good morning Muraria and Djawhufc and thank you. I started this late and am still only half way. I hope you will be around for more queries, which will come...
4 of 33  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd April 2017, 12:31
I've completed the grid except for the top and bottom rows and 10d. Am I right in assuming that the italic parts of the preamble are clues to the blank rows? I know 10d won't make sense but there must a logical way of deducing the uncrossed cells.

When I got 21a and 29a I almost stopped there and then because I've known puzzles with the same theme in previous years that just lead you up the garden path, so I'm hoping this one won't turn out to be a waste of time.
5 of 33  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd April 2017, 12:50
Orson, the preamble is very helpful for 10 D. The italicised parts could be said to help with the top and bottom row.
6 of 33  -   Report This Post

jogamel

2nd April 2017, 19:11
Hello again everyone. I'm still way behind. Can you please help me with a couple of clues? 21d imposing finish to the circus act (7) I have A???T??
And 14a: recipient needs nothing new after society's given up (5). I have ?O???
7 of 33  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd April 2017, 19:20
Hi jogamel,

Imposing is the same word for a month of the year and "finish to the" is the last letter of "the".

A donor is someone who gives, so who receives?

I've got the top and bottom rows so just 10d left.
8 of 33  -   Report This Post

jogamel

2nd April 2017, 19:55
Of course Orson. Thanks. But have I a wrong answer for 18? I have rankled and can't solve 5, 6 and 8.
9 of 33  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd April 2017, 20:01
18a is an anagram of edging and l (line). Some of these clues are hard to parse.
10 of 33  -   Report This Post