CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gem94

19th March 2017, 10:01
Durban - check Chambers carefully for your word
11 of 52  -   Report This Post

meursault

19th March 2017, 10:05
Durban, there is a variant spelling. Then you can reconcile all the letters from the surname and the puzzle title.

Mathmo, there is a clash at the end of 22, which perhaps doesn't help...
12 of 52  -   Report This Post

midgers

19th March 2017, 11:08
I had "tourist" in 8d as the extra word, but this gives TO instead of CO. Presumably therefore the CO must come from "cover" in 9d, but I thought that was needed in the clue to give the start of "insure" backwards. Can someone please parse 9d for me?
13 of 52  -   Report This Post

xij

19th March 2017, 11:24
Midgers, delete the word "covers", then take the first letters of the next five words.
14 of 52  -   Report This Post

cockie

19th March 2017, 12:35
I can't parse 42D. Nor can I locate the 5th clash (unless it's in 42D) or the abbreviation. Otherwise fairly plain, if cunningly wrought, sailing.
15 of 52  -   Report This Post

cockie

19th March 2017, 12:49
The smell of lunch has obviously helped. 42D rather easy when you look at it the right way. The abbreviation (top leftish) is nothing to do with the theme - that rather confused me. But I still don't have the final clash. There is a clash in 4 of the thematic names, but I'm missing the one in the guy's forename. Anyone point me to it?
16 of 52  -   Report This Post

rickye

19th March 2017, 13:17
I couldn't happily parse 14d but assumed it was relating to Franck which then explains the clash. Am I wrong? I have got another fairy tale character in my brain which is pushing me to N as the missing letter but fear I am wrong there too..
I assume when it says fifty entries it means letters. Do we have to rub out the rest of the puzzle? Or are we making a new puzzle? I can see a cold place which doesn't seem to have a place in the story, though I may have to read further. And the abbreviation is northwest in the grid but I haven't spotted it yet.
17 of 52  -   Report This Post

ozzy

19th March 2017, 13:21
I only have 32 extra bars - 16 in the six rows and 16 in the six columns. Can anyone advise please?
18 of 52  -   Report This Post

midgers

19th March 2017, 13:37
Duh, thanks! I was mesmerised by the 'up' being an instruction. Mind you, the starts to insurance (= cover) are USNI. I wonder if that was a deliberate red herring or serendipity.
19 of 52  -   Report This Post

rickye

19th March 2017, 13:38
Perhaps the abbreviation is north east, not north west, as the barring has given me a three letter abbreviation from over the pond. Is that correct? I am thinking that there are fifty entries when all the barring is done. Just struggling with the but about the blank.
20 of 52  -   Report This Post