CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cloverjo

11th March 2017, 23:35
This is supposed to be good for newbies? Oh dear! I had half an idea on a couple of clues, but nothing else.
I might be back in the morning to ask for hints.

EV tomorrow. I may just concentrate on that.
11 of 61  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th March 2017, 07:40
I parked this overnight, thinking that all would be clear in the morning...

But, I still can't explain 13. I assume that there is a connection to the Cretan visitors responsible for a plain architectural style, and only have the second letter to provide (O?), but cannot find the word in Chambers. Maybe I've got something else wrong...

...and I don't see 39, so 2 unches missing there.

I've identified 20 cells comprising an old series, I assume from the shared cells that the remaining 8 cells to be highlighted comprise an inner 'circle' ?

12 of 61  -   Report This Post

notrab

12th March 2017, 08:04
Look at Dorian in Chambers to see the connection with Crete - but I have never seen the word **rising.

The inner circle is pretty fundamental!

I am also unchless about 39.
13 of 61  -   Report This Post

notrab

12th March 2017, 08:20
I meant to say that I can see the correct answer to 39 but cannot make the connection to the wordplay.
14 of 61  -   Report This Post

essira

12th March 2017, 08:28
Put AMIN in it and you will get flowers
15 of 61  -   Report This Post

notrab

12th March 2017, 08:34
Thanks essira - a word I had never come across although I knew the more common version of the flower.
16 of 61  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th March 2017, 08:40
Thanks Essira. I'd missed the entries both for the candlestick and the flower when I looked them up earlier !

And with the help of various hints, I was finally able to find the mythical creature. I suppose 23D also gives a clue. But shouldn't that clue contain reference to dialect or slang ?

17 of 61  -   Report This Post

smithsax

12th March 2017, 15:59
Completed and everything seems to work except my spelling of the flyer although phonetically correct is different to either offering in the relevant Wikipedia article. Googling the spelling I have gives relatively few hits which I would normally put down to it being a common typo. Have I made an error?
18 of 61  -   Report This Post

buzzb

12th March 2017, 16:21
You must have an error. When I type the spelling as per the puzzle solution into Google, I get 4900 hits.
19 of 61  -   Report This Post

candlestick

12th March 2017, 17:27
I can find two ways of thematically highlighting 28 cells and I'm unsure which is desired. Both seem permissible by different interpretation of the rules as written. Are the 28 cells contiguous?
20 of 61  -   Report This Post