CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

5th March 2017, 14:35
Thanks to Keepatit for your earlier hints. It didn't help that I had the wrong spelling for 19...

Just another little quibble. The arthropod in question has anywhere between 30 and 354 legs. 100 was used as an approximation by people who didn't look very carefully...
41 of 71  -   Report This Post

dryden

5th March 2017, 15:50
Meursault, my Chambers gives two words for the second item, so your point appears valid, but the Project Gutenberg version of the whole text has the second item hyphenated, so two words is probably correct.
42 of 71  -   Report This Post

cockie

5th March 2017, 17:02
Is rrrobbo's suggestion (at 36) that the 17 letters we have to find are
4,4,4,1,4? I assume the final 4 is the obvious one in the central row. Are the others contiguous? And is the 1 (if correct) C? All the Christmas-crackery answers I can guess as are singularly absent from the grid. Some pretty unsubtle hint needed!
43 of 71  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th March 2017, 19:30
No Cockie, that sidetracked me for quite a few minutes before I read the comments from Keepatit. The 'intended answer' (intended by the setter maybe, but by who else ?) is (13,4) with the 13 being contiguous and the 4 also contiguous, but a gap between the 13 & 4.
44 of 71  -   Report This Post

xij

5th March 2017, 19:38
No cockie. You are looking for two words 13 and 4. I agree with others that the second part of the riddle should be two words, as it is in BRB, and it clearly states that BRB is the primary reference.
However, a really good puzzle and finish.
45 of 71  -   Report This Post

keepatit

5th March 2017, 19:52
If you're still stuck, you could do worse than consider the relevance of the title. It almost always has some. In this case not as a noun, but part of a phrase. That should confirm that your answer is right
46 of 71  -   Report This Post

unclued

5th March 2017, 19:55
Can some kind person give me the position of the first letter of the 13. I'm losing the will to live!
47 of 71  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th March 2017, 20:01
Five diagonal from ne corner. Sorry if I confused people
48 of 71  -   Report This Post

unclued

5th March 2017, 20:06
Thanks rrobbo. Not a great ending.
49 of 71  -   Report This Post

notrab

5th March 2017, 20:28
I started this late and have just finished. I have the question, the two missing words and their substitutes. I have a curved 13 cell highlight m***********n and the four letter l***. My brain is now dead amd I cannot fathom how they provide an answer to the new question? Nudge appreciated.
50 of 71  -   Report This Post