CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dryden

5th March 2017, 09:10
unclued if you add B at the end of PROVER you have PROVERB ( a 'saw').

I think I have finally worked out 3d, courtesy of Google. It seems unnecessarily obscure. There is an extra H, which you have probably worked out if you have the rest of the message. There is a film called "Horton hears a Who!' so Who was heard by Horton.

31 of 71  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th March 2017, 09:47
Wow. Good find. When you change two words in the grid to find the missing words are you changing existing answers to other words that still keep sensible words in the grid?
32 of 71  -   Report This Post

dryden

5th March 2017, 10:34
rrrobbo, two entries are changed to get the two key words missing from the question. Changing those entries does not affect other answers at all, so there are still real words in the grid. In each case the entry to be changed is the same length as the missing key word.
33 of 71  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

5th March 2017, 10:57
Identifying the highlighting must have taken me almost as long as solving all of the clues - memories of Poat and that damned golden hare ;-( An underwhelming conclusion to a decent puzzle, though I thought one or two of the clues were unnecessarily contrived.
34 of 71  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

5th March 2017, 12:15
Thanks, Dryden
Would never have got that.
The film on its own would be too obscure.
But the book was by a literary giant.

35 of 71  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th March 2017, 12:27
Still can't find those dratted words. Do the changes contribute to the final highlighting and am I right in thinking that final phrase has words with letter counts 44414? I also assume the first 4 words make the pun shape?
36 of 71  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th March 2017, 12:36
Oh man. I am so dumb. How can I have the questioner and the phrase with omissions and not see the words? I even looked it all up several times and dismissed the words in favour of looking for things like apiary. Right. Now for the pesky highlighting.
37 of 71  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th March 2017, 13:06
Patience and thought required. I am finally there. i quite like that myself. Hated the questioners book and films though. Thanks all.
38 of 71  -   Report This Post

dryden

5th March 2017, 13:47
I'm also underwhelmed by the endgame. First it's not an answer, nor can it be taken as such. 'Intended answer' is misleading. Second, it makes the 'post-hoc' answer to the original question totally irrelevant. A better-worded preamble would not have left solvers struggling to see where to begin. I don't expect to be handed the solution on a plate, but I do expect a preamble to accurately reflect what has to be done in the grid. I don't believe that is the case here.
39 of 71  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th March 2017, 14:04
I'm a late starter, Dryden, and have just now got to the very point you indicate. I can make the substitutions, but the new question does not yield to quotations enquiry (unless I'm being particularly stupid this week).

And the preamble refers to 2 key words missing. Shouldn't that be 3 ?
40 of 71  -   Report This Post