CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » EV

throck

21st February 2017, 17:58
Ignore my Post 8 - I see how LYONESSE works.
11 of 36  -   Report This Post

manic mary

21st February 2017, 18:26
Help! I am really struggling here to even understand the previous posts. Have only managed 2d,12d & 34d with the possibility of 5d tho' I am not hopeful it is right. All the hints given seem to mix the clues and I really have no idea of what is going on. I do appreciate that the endgame would seem to encompass some fictional places but then I am lost.
12 of 36  -   Report This Post

throck

21st February 2017, 18:59
Manic Mary, the superfluous words (SW) in the normal-length clues give cryptic clues to the imaginary places: starting from the top left and going anticlockwise the two SW in 15, two in 20, 2 in 25+one in 39, two in 10d give four places, and then going back to the top left the two SW in 12d, one in 16d+two in 18d, one in 23d+two in 24d give three more.
13 of 36  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

21st February 2017, 20:26
Like others I am struggling with this. I have quite a bit of the left-hand side done and have three of the places entered in that area thanks to the earlier comments/hints here. Could some kind soul please tell me where Avalon and El Dorado fit in. Also, at the moment I have con for six down ( Trick chopping man in half ) i.e. half of Connor but if that is right I cannot find anything for 9, 13 and 15 across. Back now to have a further look at it.
14 of 36  -   Report This Post

sunray

22nd February 2017, 03:06
I have just started this and have a few short answers.
Trick is a three letter word beginning with A. The man could be A????R.
Grease is 4 letters for welding+E

5d is two letters for record+I+ three for mark+E

in 13a, I have pr?m. What is the def?

if two extra words, they do not have to be together, correct?
15 of 36  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

22nd February 2017, 06:59
Thank you for that Sunray. I am not sure what the definition is in 13 across but, like you, I have pr?m and now think the added letter at the end will be o so the third letter ( if I have placed El Dorado correctly ) is either i or o. ( Probably o because way of working in 10 down should be mo - modus operandi ) 15 across is still proving elusive. I have si??it? and cannot even find two words to fit that pattern let alone anything which will yield a possible answer. In answer to your question, where two words are removed they do not necessarily come together in the clue.
16 of 36  -   Report This Post

throck

22nd February 2017, 07:29
For 15 across, alwayspuzzled, the first word is not really a word, but a two-letter abbreviation.
17 of 36  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

22nd February 2017, 08:04
Thank you for that Throck. I now have a virtually complete grid and need just 29 down ( Tracks bar's opening time - slo? possibly slot? ) and the final place. I thought it might be the title of a James Hilton novel/former name of Camp David but that would give some final entries which I cannot find. Time now to do some work.
18 of 36  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

22nd February 2017, 11:11
It would help if I could count! Now have a complete grid thanks to all the helpful hints and pointers in this thread.
19 of 36  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

22nd February 2017, 14:31
All done thanks to help/hints on her ....just wondering how 16d and 14d parse please?

16d (Senility) perhaps,SA official in India drops rupees (4)
14d One who fixes canine hold one filling for lifted bridge? 9 letters
20 of 36  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV