CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rpchambe

27th December 2016, 10:24
Thanks all. I now have the V composer and, having moved 5 letter N, got the 4 letter O.
I am surprised that Z isn't an African animal as that is the end of Breeze, plus a shortened stream (Brae) and is the name of a pirate ship. However, I am now looking for ZE?E?
I assume the 4 letter I ends with two letters that sound like excess but can't find a band that fits the bill. I have enjoyed this, despite the theme not being one that I know much about. (I made the younger members of the family laugh by asking if there was a singer called Zed Zed Top?)
91 of 104  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th December 2016, 10:28
Hi RP
I'm a bit surprised that with 3 letters placed you weren't able to find this!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INXS

Yes, the Z is a type of ship, sometimes (but not exclusively) used by Barbary Pirates. Different dialect term for "stream".
92 of 104  -   Report This Post

rpchambe

27th December 2016, 10:43
Oh thank you ChrisE. It was because I thought it ended with XX!
93 of 104  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

27th December 2016, 13:59
I have been slowly struggling through this with mammoth help from this forum, as well as Google, Chambers thesaurus, etc. I actually knew the J tree - from a Christmas carol! Anyway, I can't get the following:

The 4-letter O
The 5-letter N
The 7-letter H
The 8-letter L, T, thematic U, V
The 9-letter K
The 10-letter T
The 11-letter F, H, M.

Can't find a 2-word expression for 'steer' and have no idea what the bovine is.

Any steering appreciated!
94 of 104  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

27th December 2016, 14:50
Have now got K, L, V (I think). Realise I'm missing both Us and am not sure about M. Am filling in the grid.
95 of 104  -   Report This Post

mjh

27th December 2016, 15:39
Unfortunately the crossword is now wrapping turkey remains in the bin, so I can't remember all the clues. The 11 letter F, H, M though take you through 60s and 80s pop - from Juliet to Don't You Want Me via Mighty Quinn. For the 2 letter steer, if you're eating roasted beef at an outdoor event odds are it's at an _ _ roast. The bovine reference is an alternative 4 letter word for a cow that also means tidy - I only know of it these days through the oil from hooves that you use to treat leather. From memory I think those relate to your question.
96 of 104  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

27th December 2016, 16:07
Thanks mjh. Really helpful, and of course it would be in the bin by now! Still stuck on a few, if you remember.

5 letter n: surely not HP when doubled.

6 letter y: As Wisden is, with two Yorkshire openers catching out Laker (not Knight). Is the answer YEARLY?

which takes me to the 9 letter M. I thought it might be Motorhead, but it doesn't fit the gaps, which are:

?o?r?b?e?
I'm assuming that the 10 letter T is The Beegees, but can't see why, so maybe not.

Two 8 letter Us:
to have lost consciousness is meaningless
and
even parts of sunlit areas on the reverse side - that's wrong!

One of these ends in X I think.

7 letter h: leading radio drama following league reports

So if you remember any, great.

And then mine can go in the recycling!

97 of 104  -   Report This Post

mjh

27th December 2016, 16:40
My parents always referred to HP as buying on the ..... .....

Yes.

Think Manchester singer with gladioli.

No, the post grad works are theses I think on the themed T, not beegees.

Isn't the non theme U about not making sense (meaningless as well having no senses).
The other U starred the less well known half of live aid and their hit about the Austrian capital.

And the report in H, refers to the parliamentary reports. Leads to Radio Drama, following a Baltic trading league.

98 of 104  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

27th December 2016, 17:14
Thanks!! Finished now. Never expected to. Is the T The Seekers?
99 of 104  -   Report This Post

mjh

27th December 2016, 17:18
Yes, think that's what I had.
100 of 104  -   Report This Post