CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

skyewalker

30th November 2016, 18:09
Time's up, class. Put down your pencils. I'm surprised some of you haven't asked for more paper, especially SteveA and Seamus who, after the first 18 clues had been posted, each turned out to be responsible for a third of them!

Results will be posted shortly.
51 of 74  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

30th November 2016, 18:22
Thanks, Aristo, good term for it!
52 of 74  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

30th November 2016, 18:56
Thanks to everyone for taking part. I was hopeful that, despite being such a small word, MOLE, having various meanings, might still provide some inspiration. I wasn't disappointed. Unless I'm mistaken, we had 40 clues from 13 setters.

Favourites included Seamus @11, Paul @31, Ginge's letter substitution @34, Dorrien @41 (although don't see a Canadian connection) and the Rogue @43. I think, without exception, everyone produced at least one worthy clue so please don't feel miffed if you haven't been mentioned.

Like Dorrien last week, I'll announce my final 3 in reverse order:

In 3rd place ChriseE with his clever (and spookily Eggheads-synchronistic) clue @16.

Once I had the pdm re the Kenneth Grahame reference, SteveA @18 with his wonderful double vegetation misdirection was the frontrunner.

I must, however, award first place to Mattrom @28 for her lovely, inspired, concise

The Velvet Underground? (4)

Your prize is XTC in their 60s band pastiche guise, The Dukes of Stratosphear, "doing" the Beatles circa 1967.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=X-fL68DbcQ0

As I have found this clip will only play on some devices (my smart TV - OK, my tablet - not available) here is an alternative prize. I never would have thought, after half a century, I'd be saying, "This is one of the singles from the new album by...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbf6HbKZSmk

(No extra prize, but can anyone get the connection between the two clips?)
53 of 74  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th November 2016, 19:01
Thanks skyewalker for running it, choosing, and my third place!

Wonderful choice. I loved mattrom's clue (I liked the band, too!) I wonder if they were thinking of moles when they chose the name (or was it Andy Warhol's suggestion?)
54 of 74  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th November 2016, 19:11
It's the second one that wouldn't play for me, skyewalker. The first one reminded me of a camping holiday in France years ago, where my wife and I shared a rather small tent with our small daughter and a mole - we were sleeping on foam pads, and new hollows appeared under them every night (the gas cokker outside collapsed into one, one night!)
55 of 74  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

30th November 2016, 19:54
Congratulations, mattrom, and thanks, skyewalker.
56 of 74  -   Report This Post

therogue

30th November 2016, 20:07
Well done mattrom and thank you skyewalker. Good clip, I'll have to try a big mallet on the moles in my garden! ;)
57 of 74  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

30th November 2016, 20:09
Apologies, everyone. One letter in wrong case for second link. Should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbf6HbKZSMk
58 of 74  -   Report This Post

mattrom

30th November 2016, 20:14
Thank you so much, Skyewalker - quite unexpected. It was Chrise's anecdote that put the thought into my mind. Apparently the band name was inspired by a book by Michael Lee, also new to me.

I enjoyed the clip, shades of psychedelia. It probably dates one to remember it. The second clip was N/A to me also. Thanks again for setting - now to wrestle with word choices for the next week.

Cheers
59 of 74  -   Report This Post

mattrom

30th November 2016, 20:17
Slow typing, just saw the second link. Still thinking about the connection.....
60 of 74  -   Report This Post