CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wintonian

8th November 2016, 23:23
Hi, orientfan.

28a – Ivor the Engine was a childrens’ TV programme (apparently originally broadcast in 1958 but revived in 1975). The wordplay gives LIVOR for “black and blue”, minus the first letter, so ending up with IVOR.

21d – I think that “males on the run” leads to ROISTERS, “sacking one” implies that the I is omitted, leaving ROSTERS, which is defined by “duty allocations”. The word “impresario” is an extra word that must be omitted. I hadn’t realised that “roister” can be a noun, defined in Chambers as “a blusterer; a noisy reveller”. I must say that I’m not entirely convinced by this clue, as I can’t find a clear definition of “run” that fits the definition (either as a noun or as a verb) of “roister”, so I might not have this right. Also, I can’t see a role for the word “over” in the clue after the extra word is deleted, so there may be a better parsing for this clue.

And, escuan, you can choose either the first or the last letter of each of the extra words to make the common phrase, with the other letter of each word giving the anagram. In 8d, I saw “etching” as indicating that something indicated by “line” was included in something indicated by “stone”.
31 of 37  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th November 2016, 01:02
Hi wintonian, re 21d; perhaps r(o)osters (one over), run as in chicken run.
32 of 37  -   Report This Post

orientfan

9th November 2016, 07:02
Thanks wintonian and ginge. Missed 'livor' and didn't think about a chicken run!
33 of 37  -   Report This Post

escuan

9th November 2016, 12:23
Thank you Wintonian. I take your point about etching but my reasoning was that the clue was sound if the word was omitted, though admittedly producing a poor surface reading.
34 of 37  -   Report This Post

wintonian

11th November 2016, 18:18
Hi, ginge,

Sorry, I've been away for the last couple of days and just seen your comment.

Yes, your parsing of 21d makes much more sense!
35 of 37  -   Report This Post

crosswhit99

16th November 2016, 12:01
6d Stamps affidavit to obtain energy (4)

'Stamps' could be PANE, but 'obtain' isn't an adequate definition for PAN ??
36 of 37  -   Report This Post

gem94

16th November 2016, 15:20
PAN - To obtain by evaporating in a pan, according to Chambers.
37 of 37  -   Report This Post