CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pigale

28th September 2016, 22:09
Les, I was just trying to make a play on words with the expression 'to give the thumbs up' =approve/support. It is probably not very cryptic!
41 of 56  -   Report This Post

ixion

28th September 2016, 23:00
Thanks mattrom...yes, hi-t(e)ch (advanced) lacking e (energy) Les.
42 of 56  -   Report This Post

les40

28th September 2016, 23:12
Thanks pigale.

Well! I'm impressed with the bumper crop of clues. I thought the triple H and lack of synonyms would prove difficult to clue,
I've gone over and over these and my mind's changed a couple of times with cryptic defs, lots of references to 'Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' with 'Adams, Dent and Ford Prefect etc. Also the clues using initial letters which usually doesn't misdirect me but fiery's Post 16 had me scratching my head for ages looking for an anagram, you crafty swine!
My shortlist of 9 went to 6 and now I'm down to my 3 favourites, which are:
ab with A+ for genius in brevity at Post 12.

ginge -Post 22 with one of the last clues to have me baffled until I realised (penny drop) Country cousin was the 'Hick' and taking out the 'C' perfectly, also the wordplay runs perfect to end up with everything in the correct place.

aristo - Post 17 with a superb Def and smooth wordplay. Alfred Hitchcock losing his wedding tackle made me laugh and the 'lifter of skirts' took a bit because I first looked for the def here thinking 'lifter' had something to do with getting a lift but then realised it was 'Hiker' (coincidentally, 'hitcher' would also be a lifter of skirts)
Which I would also like to say that the film 'The Hitcher' starring Rutger Hauer sprung to mind when I read the clue because he was the hitchhiker and he actually did lop off someone's finger in the film.

So, I think you've guessed who the winner is, for all the above reasons and that it made me smile, aristo at Post 17 with his sublime effort:

Stock horror movie character lopping member off director, a lifter of skirts (10)

Thanks aristo, here is your prize, something I didn't know until yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zuAQAhhMI
43 of 56  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

28th September 2016, 23:18
Well done, Aristo. Your clue gave me a smile too. Cheers, Les.
44 of 56  -   Report This Post

mattrom

28th September 2016, 23:31
Well done, Aristo, I laughed when I read it. Cheers, Les, and thanks to Seamus for your earlier reply.
45 of 56  -   Report This Post

ixion

28th September 2016, 23:47
Congrats aristo, thanks Les.
46 of 56  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th September 2016, 23:51
Worthy winner aristo, cheers Les.
47 of 56  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th September 2016, 04:11
Thank you, Les. It's quite the honor. I drew a blank at first when I saw this week's challenge and almost gave it a pass, then thought of Alfred.

I didn't know about our bargain-basement moon, but never thought to ask Jeeves.

Great clues all around, folks. Best to all.
48 of 56  -   Report This Post

chrise

29th September 2016, 07:44
Congrats aristo and thanks les.
49 of 56  -   Report This Post

jws

29th September 2016, 09:05
well done aristo and thanks to Les for hosting
50 of 56  -   Report This Post