CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

manic mary

29th September 2016, 15:17
Thank you so much, can't see any connection with the title but now know how to start with the beastly things. Thanks again C.
21 of 26  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

29th September 2016, 15:31
look back in the thread for explanation of the title after you have the 2 word phrase which is the playfair keyword
22 of 26  -   Report This Post

manic mary

30th September 2016, 10:31
Finally got there after working out 23a. Presume the title is to do with missing letters of an omission of a key-word component. Devious & obscure. Many thanks again.
23 of 26  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

9th October 2016, 07:14
As always these days I am about two weeks behind with the EV. I have just tried pkd's very helpful link and all I am getting is a menu - cipher code, cipher solver etc. Clicking on those is not leading me to the playfair cracker. Any advice would be very welcome.
24 of 26  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

9th October 2016, 10:20
I'll try...
Go to http://www.quinapalus.com/playfair.html

Click on playfair breaker
Hopefully you have 3 crossing letters for 36a with 2nd one blank I?CO

hopefully you have the clue answer to 36a ... WINE so wine >>>I?CO

Type in wine in the "plain text" box and in the box underneath "to ciphertext", type in IACO (going to try all the possibles for that 2nd letter...) Press search ....gives you the keyword nightcap (which might be the keyword we are looking for or it might not...)
Now go right through the alphabet using B,C,D....Z.......not as tedious as it sounds..........there are only 3 letters that actually work.
Hopefully you will recognise which of the 3 is your keyword.

Once you have the keyword you will be able to put your other clue answers in code and the 4 unclued are "part of the keyword" when deciphered.

Come back again if you get stuck...
25 of 26  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

12th October 2016, 18:38
Apologies for my tardiness. Thank you for that, Sudokulover. As usual various commitments have got in the way of crosswords but I shall try that later.
26 of 26  -   Report This Post