CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crackabilly

26th September 2016, 19:41
Thanks Pkd - I'll check this out
11 of 26  -   Report This Post

crackabilly

27th September 2016, 18:57
Pkd,

I've had a look at this site but can't fathom.

I think the problem is that we have the text and the cypher of the text (with some omissions) and have to work out what the Playfair code-square is (in particular the front-end message).

I have:
SUITCASE WINE LARBOARD
HCUP?SGS I?CO HD?D?BDL

Any steer on what to do next would be greatly appreciated
12 of 26  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

27th September 2016, 19:56
I got the "playfair codeword" from 36a wine which in the grid is I?CO

There are only 3 letters for the blank which work in the decoder that pkd gave. Use "playfair breaker with wine and i?co" using a then b then cetc for your missing letter.....doesn't take long to get the 3 that actually work. If you get the 3 choices I am sure you will deduce which one is correct.
Ask again if you are stuck/ if i have confused you more!!
13 of 26  -   Report This Post

crackabilly

27th September 2016, 20:10
Thanks Sudokulover - I'll try this
14 of 26  -   Report This Post

crackabilly

27th September 2016, 20:51
Thanks again Sudokulover - it worked - all finished
15 of 26  -   Report This Post

spreadman

28th September 2016, 00:27
Have finished this thanks to all on this thread. Not very keen on playfair, prefer normal solving. It would have been helpful if some indication of the keyword was included in the grid or clues or title. Where does "criticism rejected" come into it? Maybe i'm missing something. Any thoughts?
16 of 26  -   Report This Post

pkd

28th September 2016, 07:56
Hi Spreadman,

The second word of the keyword reversed has a definition of criticism in Chambers.
17 of 26  -   Report This Post

spreadman

28th September 2016, 10:41
Hi pkd
Thanks for that, I see it now.
DOOHHHH
18 of 26  -   Report This Post

manic mary

29th September 2016, 12:05
Still totally confused by how to find the "word", have checked the suggested web-site but it's totally beyond me. Have tried all the encrypted & plain text words but am getting no-where. Please someone put me out of my misery and give me a massive clue for idiots before I take full leave of my senses.

Thank you
19 of 26  -   Report This Post

spreadman

29th September 2016, 12:41
Hi Manic Mary,
When you go onto the website, put in wine as the known word and i?co as the coded word . Start with iaco then ibco, icco, idco and so on until you reach izco. Three possible key words will come up. One of them is correct. If you do a rough playfair square for each word and try the other two words that you know, you will find which one is correct. As a guide to the correct one, think of the south coast.
20 of 26  -   Report This Post