CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sidistwoderful

27th August 2016, 18:32
The answer is not Berg Hill, that is the name of the poster being replied to.

The answer to 38 is an anagram of THECOOPS, the checked letters are _O_T_C_O.
11 of 92  -   Report This Post

roof

27th August 2016, 23:09
Thanks sidistwoderful.

Don't worry, I got the right answer. I didn't spot the name of the poster!

I've now finished the lower half (almost), but am having trouble with the top half. Any hints for15ac game, imprisoned by one Greek king? (9). I haven't got 13ac yet, so may have assumed the break in the wrong place
12 of 92  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

27th August 2016, 23:22
15a Def Greek King - the word 'game' inside 'an' + a 3 letter sequence

13a Def orator - 3 letter word meaning reserve inside CRO (some of croquet)
13 of 92  -   Report This Post

prospero

27th August 2016, 23:26
Took me a while to get into this - but once started it moved along OK. But I am at the end and stuck on 3d. Wondering if there is an EFG in it. And if e g and green anagrind with that? But I can't find such a word, certainly not one that means an Austrian Alpine valley .... maybe I'll just give up
14 of 92  -   Report This Post

barretter

27th August 2016, 23:26
You have the break in the right place. The definition is "Greek king". "One" becomes "An" and surrounds "game" and one of the three letter sequences. 13a is the name of a Roman orator.
Can anybody help with 3d? I have all the intersecting letters but can't make any sense of the clue. Is it the name of a particular Austrian valley, or a generic word for an alpine valley?
There seem to be more proper names in this puzzle than is usual. It took me a while to work out 39a, as I had never heard of him.
15 of 92  -   Report This Post

barretter

27th August 2016, 23:28
Triple simultaneous postings!
16 of 92  -   Report This Post

patgreg

27th August 2016, 23:45
I gave up and cheated on this! - I knew it was an anagram of green + e and g (tops of elms growing - and then guessed 3 letters were def - but had to resort to Googling Austrian valleys until I found one that would fit!... it's Defereggen - never heard of it!
17 of 92  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

27th August 2016, 23:46
It is the name if an Austrian valley. Three consecutive letters followed by an anagram of 'the tips' of elm growing + green.
18 of 92  -   Report This Post

roof

28th August 2016, 00:00
Thanks scorpiojo and barreter. I actually managed to find my Greek king before checking the forum. But I too was having great trouble with 3d, so thanks for that one.

I'm off to bed now and will resume tomorrow.
19 of 92  -   Report This Post

bunty

28th August 2016, 00:17
18a Supplements men on strike (6,3) P?E?E? / O?T
20 of 92  -   Report This Post