CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

25th July 2016, 17:30
Sorry to hear that, les - family still in France?
51 of 68  -   Report This Post

les40

25th July 2016, 19:08
They are mate.
Got the ferry back on my own, no point all coming back, then train from Portsmouth to Waterloo - too late to get to Euston in time for a connecting train, walked around Waterloo and Lambeth for 4 hours trying to get a room but all fully booked, spent an hour talking to the night police so I wouldn't get picked up for vagrancy, they said it'd be ok if I got my head down somewhere and they wouldn't arrest me so I got a taxi to Euston at 3am and kipped out front in a shop doorway (that's one thing ticked off the bucket list) (had contacted Paul to meet up Sunday for a catch up but my phone battery died) by the time they opened Euston at 5am I was so knackered and struggling with my back I bought a ticket for the next available train which was 08:45 and got my connecting short journey train 2 minutes after getting off the London train (first bit of luck) and was back in the house 24 hours after being dropped at Ousterham port. Went straight to bed and stayed there for 24 hours. Anyway, I'm back in the game now and other than a few things to sort out tomorrow, I have the rest of the week off and I can get on with the final bits of my workshop build. They're not back until very late Thursday/Friday am.
However Chris, I did see the gun placement at St Aubin Sur Mer and the 'Bunker' Museum near the port. Drove by Sword, Gold and Juno beaches but never got to Caen or Bayeax but there's always another time to do that mate.
52 of 68  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th July 2016, 19:10
Nightmare, les (literally!)
53 of 68  -   Report This Post

les40

25th July 2016, 19:49
Sorry folks for the hold up. Can someone shed some light on Ginge's post 17/18 - I can't get the fishing trip
54 of 68  -   Report This Post

les40

25th July 2016, 23:56
OK folks,
Some great clues to a word that I thought would prove difficult to clue, some superb full/partial anagrams from skyewalker 2, chris 4, mattrom 12, paul 16 & 32, seamus 20 & 21, steve 22 & 26, - Lovely cryptic defs from paul 15 & 29, (Loved Call of Duty) and aristo 34. A great charade from pigale at 5 and some I feel need a mention because I had to take time to work them out for the penny drop.
BBM @ 6 had me misdirected looking for a word sandwiched in when the real meaning was... well! sandwich (sub)
ginge @ 7 had me searching for the missing letters and then it fell to me - 'Called' was the extracted fodder.
tatters @ 11 really got me because I thought it was a mistake with an extra P until I reread it a few times and the penny did drop that it was without one P - very clever
mattrom @12 with similar def as tatters had a well hidden SING (Iconfess)
aristo @ 19 - Took a couple of rereads before I twigged 'Edgar Allan Poe' - well done
Seamus @21 - which had me thinking of a fork for a while before the penny dropped with the 'Trident Submarine'
mattrom @24 - Found this one of the toughest clues as I also pronounce the 'B' - it's a language thing although the posted website about pronunciation backs up the silent 'B' - learnt something with that mattrom, well done.
skyewalker @ 33 - A real penny drop here, you had me looking up Subo in the Chambers trying to find a real Scottish word for a nightclub singer, then it dawned on me... SUBO! Bloody Nora, it's Susan Boyle, very subtle skyewalker, that gave me a smile.

So, after a lengthy wait of nearly a week, I have to say that there are quite a few that could take the gong, however, there can only be one winner and it's for the clue that had me scratching my head for a while looking for the fodder to extract, then it hit me like a tennis ball in an ace serve. some may say it's a partial ghostlike to find the extraction fodder (LET) but I feel the surface reading is perfect with the added use of demanding 'ANOTHER' court appearance which was very playful, also very topical with the recent Wimbledon final being won by one of his clan.
The baton thus passes to:
Fieryjack @ POST 13

Baseline topgun upset when "first service" call is overruled demanding another court appearance

Well done FJ, your prize is a chap who was subpoenaed for his '7 dirty words' show which is very much full of swearing.

I have chosen another of his videos which has a little less swearing. BE WARNED! if you are easily offended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11lEtj-MuMk

Cheers all for being patient, Les40
55 of 68  -   Report This Post

les40

26th July 2016, 00:00
Apologies to ginge for his 'fishing trip' clue, I had to wrap this up by midnight pal, hope you're not offended that I didn't suss it out in time.
56 of 68  -   Report This Post

stevea6000

26th July 2016, 01:00
Thanks for the 5-vowel word and the mention les - and welcome back. Impressive devotion to duty ... posting a detailed analysis at midnight.

Congrats fj.
57 of 68  -   Report This Post

mattrom

26th July 2016, 01:32
Well done, FJ and thanks, Les - I hope the problems get resolved.
Back later today....
58 of 68  -   Report This Post

rosalind

26th July 2016, 06:48
What a wonderful anaysis, Les. You make me feel a bit ashamed of my (only 2) adjudications!
Hope you and your back recover from the nightmare journey soon.
59 of 68  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th July 2016, 08:10
Congrats FJ. Thanks les - also for the mention.
60 of 68  -   Report This Post