CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

10th July 2016, 11:47
Yes, you're right, Dryden.
It's another one of these quantum clues where you start off solving one state of the clue and end up solving another. The wordplay is : FILE cut, ie FIL, with LISTER for 'one that does leaning'. However, 'one that does planing' serves for the definition.
21 of 82  -   Report This Post

dylan

10th July 2016, 12:55
Yes, that sounds like Schrödinger's cat . Surely we can't have two different spellings applying in the same clue?
22 of 82  -   Report This Post

ozzy

10th July 2016, 13:23
Dryden, on 30 you can check what your first 4 letters are short for, then check the longer version where you will find Tory.
23 of 82  -   Report This Post

unclued

10th July 2016, 15:09
In 18 I have HUGENESS but can't see how gene = chagrin.
24 of 82  -   Report This Post

meursault

10th July 2016, 15:17
gĂȘne
25 of 82  -   Report This Post

unclued

10th July 2016, 15:41
Thanks! I'm struggling with quite a few clues particularly 9/20.
26 of 82  -   Report This Post

meursault

10th July 2016, 17:14
My solve has been very much stop-start, Unclued. I've still got a bit to do in SW and NE corners. If you think you have the first Playfair code (from the pairs of letters encoded in clues) okay so far, it's worth working all the way through each paired clue to see where other encodings have likely taken place. That process has solved quite a few clues for me.
27 of 82  -   Report This Post

dryden

10th July 2016, 17:35
Thanks Ozzy, but I cannot find what you are pointing me to. The first four letters of my answer to 30 make a Latin word meaning 'life' that isn't short for anything. Since nothing else fits, and the word matches the clue's definition, I don't think I can have a wrong answer. I don't have the latest Chambers, so perhaps it's a feature of that.
28 of 82  -   Report This Post

meursault

10th July 2016, 18:20
Dryden, my onelook search earlier returned me only 4 possible answers (assuming that I entered the correct parameters :) - fetalized, metalized, totalized and vitalized. And I think I like second letter 'I' ...I've pencilled that one in and moved on. Though connection between Vita and Tory ? If memory serves me right, amassed capital represents the past, i.e., death; expression and change represent life...
29 of 82  -   Report This Post

demeter

10th July 2016, 18:38
I haven't got either answer of 6,22 or 7,13.

Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks.
30 of 82  -   Report This Post