CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sudokulover

29th April 2010, 10:27
Morning AJT - how are you doing with this puzzle?
1 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

29th April 2010, 11:12
Hello Sudokulover - I've finished but for one letter,which is the first of the unclued at 16d. But as for the word in the diagonal - I've pencilled in all of the diagonals, but haven't spotted anything yet. How about you?
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

29th April 2010, 11:29
Well done to you - you're on a roll lately! I'm over half-way but have come to a grinding halt now so perhaps you could send me some hints/clues!(I have the very last word in the perimeter)
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

29th April 2010, 11:36
Now I wonder how much you want!..The quotation was quite unknown to me - what gave it away was the 7-letter word, then I found it in a fairly recent book of quotations. That word is "maypole" and I think the clue to the whole is that it sounds like "may poll" The title of the book relates.

I've got to go out now for a few hours, but should be in about 4 pm if you need any more - or someone else will join this thread.
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

29th April 2010, 11:42
Yes I had the m, y and the e so I was thinking of maypole. I shall persevere and perhaps chat with you later!
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

29th April 2010, 12:22
I'm now at the same stage as you with the one letter missing at 16d. Going to study the diagonals now!
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

29th April 2010, 12:56
I think I may have found the "missing " word. Start in Row 13 column 10 and go north west. There again I could be completely on the wrong track!!!
7 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

29th April 2010, 15:40
Hello again Sudokulover - just come in and straight to the computer. Thank you - you're absolutle right, of course - the missing word - I was thinking along the lines of "wher's the poll?" and looking for something like UK or GB. That just leaves the start of 16d - must be S, I suppose. Thanks again. AJT
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

29th April 2010, 16:57
AJT - any ideas? - There's a thread (spectator 1961) on answerbank by dr b but I don't get it???
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

29th April 2010, 17:02
Yes, I've just been sitting here thinking about it. The title of the puzzle is "Queries" - and we have two in the diameter - except the one missing word. Now if you look at what is left without that, we have "Where Sand" - so I think that's another query attributed to 30 d, so the first letter of 16 d will be S. Make sense to you?
10 of 28  -   Report This Post