CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sudokulover

29th April 2010, 17:08
Yes I suppose we'll have to go with that, but it's a bit poor. Have you done the Generalist - all done for me - had to google all afternoon!!! Better than watching the rain outside!
11 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

29th April 2010, 17:16
I've just downloaded the Generalist, and disappointed to find it's all General Knowledge - I so much prefer a cryptic. We seem to be the only two interested in this week's Spectator.
The more I think about the S, the more I think it's right - saying the two words together you have the sibilant for the end of "where" to make a query - and the "S" makes it a "sounds like". I hope I've explained that alright. I googled the two together, and apparently he missed her at his death bed - another reason for the query.
12 of 28  -   Report This Post

leslie

29th April 2010, 17:44
Sorry, I can't buy that. The missing word location answers the first question. We have to answer the second questionand I don't see where the proper name or the word above it fit in. No word which fits the spaces of 16d seems to link with 30d at all.
13 of 28  -   Report This Post

cruciverbalist

29th April 2010, 17:58
May = Maid

Pole = Chopin
15 of 28  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

29th April 2010, 18:02
Thank you for that cruciverbalist!
16 of 28  -   Report This Post

zardoz

29th April 2010, 19:41
'Allo all!

Very late start. Messed up by misreading 1) for 11, so the perimeter was a mess. Quote:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Bramston
Had A(U)GE(R) for 8d, but now that doesn't work. ?

AJT: the first word has 6 letters WHERE'S. That pesky apostrophe again. ;-) TTYL

17 of 28  -   Report This Post

zardoz

29th April 2010, 20:31
AJT: Sorry, overlooked your earlier response re the "S" overlap. Did D really intend that? But, then have several answers for which I can't fully justify the clues. 39a, 26a (Banff ??)
18 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

29th April 2010, 20:34
Hello Zardoz - The preamble says ignore two apostrophes.

I was so wrong with my carefully thought-out "solution" Thanks to the rest of you for finding the right one.

19 of 28  -   Report This Post

ajt

29th April 2010, 20:47
....and Zardoz -8d is eager -alternative spelling for eagre, a dam
20 of 28  -   Report This Post