CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kirky

4th June 2016, 18:31
Thanks for confirmation - our posts crossed
21 of 45  -   Report This Post

david w

4th June 2016, 18:35
You're welcome. Any ideas about St IV?
22 of 45  -   Report This Post

kirky

4th June 2016, 18:38
Not yet unfortunately!
23 of 45  -   Report This Post

david w

4th June 2016, 19:11
All I've found so far is ST IV (with a capital T) as a reference to the fourth Startrek film.

I do hope that if we manage to finish this the grapes will turn out to be sweet enough to justify the effort...
24 of 45  -   Report This Post

cockie

4th June 2016, 19:36
I think I know what's going on - the 8 words are synonyms for a series of 8 things. I have five certain, one which could be a synonym for two of the things, and no idea yet about the other two. The snag is that the 8th thing is not the missing word. Even if I'm right about the series of 8 things I can't connect it to St IV.
25 of 45  -   Report This Post

david w

4th June 2016, 21:44
The idea of synonyms fits with what phibber said way back, but it got me nowhere then and still means nothing. Perhaps we can hope for more advice from phibber in the morning?
26 of 45  -   Report This Post

orson

4th June 2016, 22:34
I think St IV means stone number 4, which refers to the unclued answer in the sixth row. The sequence refers to something we did at school when we had prunes and custard for pudding and if you had four items left at the end...
27 of 45  -   Report This Post

kirky

4th June 2016, 23:44
well done orson ... the others seem to fit though not in the correct order...
28 of 45  -   Report This Post

david w

5th June 2016, 06:54
That gives me the following, although I am not happy about "start". Is St IV "just where you would expect it" because it is the 4th answer reading from left to right?

Tinker Potter
Tailor Snip
Soldier Grunt
Sailor Master???
Rich man Dives
Poor man Conch
Beggar man Start???
Thief Nicker
29 of 45  -   Report This Post

kirky

5th June 2016, 08:29
Agree with your choices David W ...tho can't find any meaning of start that could mean beggarman.... and yes st iv reading from left to right
30 of 45  -   Report This Post