CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ajt

22nd April 2010, 23:59
There is a very useful website which I usea lot at Chambers Word Wixards. It has a dictionary and Thesaurus as well as helpwith missing words. Unfortunately it is not as complete as the printed dictionary, and I suspect the same may be true of software. Another annoying feature of the website is that you might select a word from the lists it gives you to complete a pattern (letters and question marks) then if you put that same word in their dictionary section for the meaning, it claims no knowledge of it.
31 of 43  -   Report This Post

ajt

23rd April 2010, 00:04
...and reverting to your fish at 6d I have often thought that an absolute necessity for some crosswords is a Scottish/English and vice versa dictionary. Like the British and th Americans - we don't speak the same language!
32 of 43  -   Report This Post

zardoz

23rd April 2010, 01:00
Hi AJT.
Yes, I believe it was you who steered me to the Word Wizard a few weeks ago. Very handy.
Perhaps you have access to the Oxford Reference site (through a school or library). We lost ours this year because of budget cuts. They have dictionaries from around the Commonwealth, & much more:
http://www.oxfordreference.com/pages/Subjects_and_Titles__2F
33 of 43  -   Report This Post

ajt

23rd April 2010, 07:20
Thank you for that Zardoz - the gap was of course, because I was asleep. I must try Amazon for the dictionary next time I order - but I hadn't thought of trying to access one via the web.
34 of 43  -   Report This Post

ajt

23rd April 2010, 07:26
...and I found one at freelang.net - but I tried it with raun from our 9d, and it wasn't included.
35 of 43  -   Report This Post

leslie

23rd April 2010, 09:03
Must be slow today; for 42 ac I have _o_dr_eve and I can't find a word to fit.
36 of 43  -   Report This Post

zardoz

23rd April 2010, 09:30
Leslie,
If you're British ... should be in your lexicon.
Anyway, "misery" WOE, "shift" VEER, retired <--- "complete" DO. Put it together. I'm sure you've got it now.
Bonne chance.
37 of 43  -   Report This Post

zardoz

23rd April 2010, 09:34
AJT

Didn't expect late posts. Check the other thread @56136

38 of 43  -   Report This Post

zardoz

23rd April 2010, 09:39
Leslie,
Sorry, that line should have read:
"misery" WOE, "shift" VEER, "complete" DO, "retired" <---
39 of 43  -   Report This Post

leslie

23rd April 2010, 09:52
Thanks, Zardoz. I told you I was slow today; I suspected 'reeve' at the end but didn't know the overall word, as I now do.
I'll stand in the corner with a dunce's cap on.
40 of 43  -   Report This Post