CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosalind

6th February 2016, 16:08
Phew got there!

Doh!
21 of 30  -   Report This Post

orid

6th February 2016, 16:10
sorry, didn't read the hint request.
22 of 30  -   Report This Post

trevor

6th February 2016, 16:12
no probs orid, i've done it too.
23 of 30  -   Report This Post

syzygy

6th February 2016, 23:19
Well done, all.

Got stuck in the NE corner, then looked at it the next morning & immediately saw the joke in the surround.

Stars: A - 26, 33, 38, 41, 48. D - 3, 19, 20.
24 of 30  -   Report This Post

rosalind

7th February 2016, 09:50
Finished except for middle letter of 47 ac (and hence 10 dn completely, though I have the rest of it. Know nothing of the subject!)

Love the definition of 50 ac, the sentence and I think 31 dn is very clever. Thanks syzzie, that was fun.
25 of 30  -   Report This Post

trevor

7th February 2016, 17:19
Rosalind, 10d. is a play on this word,
http://tinyurl.com/za6rayd
26 of 30  -   Report This Post

rosalind

7th February 2016, 19:28
Thanks trevor. I did actually get it earlier (about 4 pm) when I removed a wrong guess for the 7th letter.

That was so interesting and even amusing, what a good puzzle. Did have to look up 44dn; in spite of it being very obvious from the clue I didn't believe it was a word!
27 of 30  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

7th February 2016, 22:16
Very nice. My favorite is 20d, and I love the perimeter.

Rosalind: We only got about six inches here but it was very heavy snow and we had a great deal of damage- huge tree limbs down, mostly white pine, red maple, and white birch. In another town in our county a 6-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man were killed by falling limbs. I just came in from dealing with some of the mess with a chainsaw and heard that we’re expecting another foot of snow tomorrow, with 40 mph wind (blizzard conditions).
28 of 30  -   Report This Post

rosalind

8th February 2016, 10:49
Goodness me, aristo. How dreadful that people were killed. We have quite strong winds here at the moment and I'm worried about my trees, but they are an hour's drive away and I'm not going to have a look. Plus I keep away when it's windy in case I get hit by a falling branch or tree.

Will you have to fell some of your trees because they have been so badly damaged? I take it you (eventually) burn the wood? My son chopped lots for me yesterday.

Like 5dn too
29 of 30  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

8th February 2016, 21:20
There’s a huge maple (three feet in diameter) that will probably have to come down. The deciduous wood I’ll cure and burn in my woodstove and fireplaces, but of course the pine can’t be burned indoors. Our town allows outdoor burning of such stuff till the end of April, so I’ll burn all the small branches and save the pine logs for the fires we often build in a clearing on summer and autumn nights (we’re always allowed to have those- small cooking fires- as long as we call the fire station first).

It’s still snowing, and we’re expecting bitter cold for much of the week- below 0 F some nights.
30 of 30  -   Report This Post