CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jimc

3rd February 2009, 14:48
I should add that the reason I asked 'Is the other clue ... "Underground TV is U.S." or "Underground TV in U.S."?' is that, as you already realised, 'tube' is North American slang for television (adopted outside the USA also, now).

If the clue is "Underground TV in U.S.", then it makes more sense in its entirety.
21 of 29  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

3rd February 2009, 15:32
Thanks lads. Sorry JimC, it was 'in U.S.'. I thought we used tube for TV in the UK too... The rest are now clear - I was using MM as an abbreviation for madame or mademoiselle but that's wrong. And 'ovulation' - sometimes you just don't see something for looking...
22 of 29  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

6th February 2009, 16:20
"Drive one representative to railway in US" = 'impel'. Why does EL = railway in US?
"Maps ruined on board in bursts of activity" = 'spasms'. Anagrammatical but where are the 2 extra s's coming from?
Many thanks
23 of 29  -   Report This Post

big dave

6th February 2009, 16:32
el(evated railroad) is US slang for a railway.

S(team)S(hip) is an abbreviation that crops up a lot in crosswords.

If you don't have a copy of Chambers Dictionary (not the shorter versions) then you would be well advised to buy one. Crossword setters tend to use every single abbreviation in there, for example 'see' in a clue could be 'lo' or, occasionally, 'v', short for 'vide'.

One last thing - you are allowed to start a new thread, at no extra cost!!
24 of 29  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

9th February 2009, 13:12
Aye, I know but seeing as how the thread title would be the same in each case...
Here are two that are bugging me today:
"Style acquired here in Rome" = 'gothic'. Why does IC = Rome?
"More work required to find perfect home" = 'utopia'
Many thanks
25 of 29  -   Report This Post

jerry

9th February 2009, 14:08
Hi Pooksahib,
GOT HIC Latin for here.Sir Thomas More wrote a work entitled UTOPIA about a perfect world.
Hope this helps.
Jerry
26 of 29  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th February 2009, 14:09
Hi Pooksahib.

"Style acquired here in Rome" = 'gothic' ... GOT (acquired) + HIC ('here' in latin).

I think one advantage of starting a new thread sometime soon would be that we wouldn't have to page through several pages to see new posts.
27 of 29  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

10th February 2009, 18:54
I just click on the last of the page numbers to get there but I know where you're coming from. This'll be the last on this thread then:
"David loves quibbling about note - about anything!" = 'Devil's advocate'. Anagrammatical but where does the final 'cate' come from?
Many thanks
28 of 29  -   Report This Post

terry

10th February 2009, 19:04
about=c + a (musical note) te.
29 of 29  -   Report This Post