CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

29th January 2009, 20:33
FEMALE around MEAT containing F. fem(meFat)ale.

I think meat = essence in the sense that meat can mean any food that sustains life,i.e. it is the essence of life. Very contrived but it looks right, unless someone can do better.
11 of 29  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

1st February 2009, 10:16
Well done, terry. As you say, contrived. Here's one from my local paper this time:
"Talk about city transport in days gone by" = 'charade' (at least, that's the only suggestion given by this site's 'Quick Solve'). I believe some people in England call a bus a 'chara' but I can't get any further into the clue than that.
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

big dave

1st February 2009, 12:02
pooksahib - it helps if you give the placed letters, but this one looks like chariot (transport in days gone by) - from chat (talk) about Rio (city).

The other vehicle you were referring to is a charabanc, which is usually a tourist coach.
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

1st February 2009, 16:16
You're right, Dave. I put my trust in Quick Solve as it only generated one word for the letters I had. Incidentally, is there any reason the site has no thesaurus to accompany the dictionary?
14 of 29  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

2nd February 2009, 19:18
What's the logic here, please?
"Starving convicts may get it for giving up payment inside" = 'force feeding'
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

terry

2nd February 2009, 19:31
FOR+CEDING with FEE in it. force(fee)ding. Prisoners who go on huger strike are sometimes physically forced to eat.
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

3rd February 2009, 14:04
Thanks terry. It was just the cryptic bit I couldn't fathom. Here are my latest posers:
"Angry Pope right to cut egg production if it leads to this" = 'overpopulation'. 'pope', 'r' and 'ova' are there but I'm not sure if I'm going about it the correct way.
"Underground TV is U.S." = 'tube'. Not sure about 'in U.S.' - the clue works fine without it.
"Wet Chinese revolutionary hasn't got one" = 'moist'. Something to do with Mao Tse-Tung?
"After tiny distance one female in Paris is free" = 'immune'. Why is 'tiny distance' 'i'?
Many thanks
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

jimc

3rd February 2009, 14:41
Hi Pooksahib - you do have lots of them!

"Angry Pope right to cut egg production if it leads to this" = 'overpopulation'. 'pope', 'r' and 'ova' are there but I'm not sure if I'm going about it the correct way. ... Try, I think, 'POPE', 'R' and 'OVULATION'.

"Wet Chinese revolutionary hasn't got one" = 'moist'. Something to do with Mao Tse-Tung? ... Yes; 'MAOIST' without the 'A'

"After tiny distance one female in Paris is free" = 'immune'. Why is 'tiny distance' 'i'? ... Combination of: '1', 'MM' and 'UNE' ('MM'=millimetre).

Is the other clue ... "Underground TV is U.S." or "Underground TV in U.S."?
18 of 29  -   Report This Post

jerry smith

3rd February 2009, 14:41
Hi,
I-MM(millimtre)-UNE fr.fem
Jerry
19 of 29  -   Report This Post

jerry smith

3rd February 2009, 14:45
Hi again pookshib,
TUBE as in London Underground American for the telly.
Regards,
Jerry
20 of 29  -   Report This Post