CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dryden

3rd August 2015, 22:53
I started this evening and have just finished. I don't mind the thematic repetition since it's some time since the theme last appeared in the Listener.
The one element in the endgame that I'm not entirely happy about is the shaded dots, since the the title concerned does not have 17 in it, whereas all the others begin with 'The 17 of...' so it's thematically different.
31 of 40  -   Report This Post

serpentinew

3rd August 2015, 23:01
Dryden - Check the book they all come from that should resolve your concerns.
32 of 40  -   Report This Post

dryden

3rd August 2015, 23:09
Yes, I see now they all come from one appropriately named collection.
33 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

3rd August 2015, 23:13
Dryden, I applaud your independent timetable. On another webwsite they start at 4pm Friday and not many finish within 8 hrs. If they do manage that, it becomes a badge. On that site I once said that the puzzle took me just 2 hrs. The immediate response was defensive - surely that's not true....I'm no ACD expert, but from my online enquiries, you're right about the pips. In addition, the online reference to 26A doesn't mention a 17D
34 of 40  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

4th August 2015, 11:16
Regarding the title, the only thing I can come up with is a reference to one of the unclued person's famous headgear. This seems rather tenuous, though.
35 of 40  -   Report This Post

ginge

4th August 2015, 11:33
Hi cloverjo, I believe rickye answered his own question referring to a statement made in one of the 17s by one character to the othet; "Come ............., come" he cried "the game's afoot".
36 of 40  -   Report This Post

saddleworthian

4th August 2015, 17:18
As a relative newcomer to the Listener, I occasionally find myself hitting a brick wall. Such is the case on this occasion.
I have all but one answers to the clues, and have the grid appropriately filled. The theme and the 17s came to me quite by accident but early on.
What I do not have is 16A and any idea of how to reconcile the letters missing from certain answers. Is it in some way relevant that there is no mention of these missing letters in the preamble?
37 of 40  -   Report This Post

ginge

4th August 2015, 17:46
Hi saddleworthian, you should have 5 instances of cells clashing with additional letters which form a word. In each case they are definitions of a word used appropriately in another 17.
38 of 40  -   Report This Post

ginge

4th August 2015, 17:48
Oops, 16a is astral.
39 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

4th August 2015, 18:47
Saddleworthian, I don't think there is any relevance attached to the words from clash cells not being mentioned in the preamble. As Gem94 already contributed, they are all synonyms for a word from one of the 17s ('pip'). I gave 2 earlier, the other 3 you should have are 'seed', 'star' and 'spleen'.
40 of 40  -   Report This Post