CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

1st August 2015, 14:10
A theme featured by the Listener many times over. Am I correct that only the first cell of the undefined 6 letter answer at 26A requires shading ? The other undefined answers at 15A, 37A & 3D total 20 cells, but then I guess the 5 cells filled with dots also need to be shaded, which then reconciles to five of the 17s.
1 of 40  -   Report This Post

carpox1

1st August 2015, 14:33
meursault: Like you, I assume that only the first letter of 26 requires colouring. I also concur with you regarding the three other 17s that you identify; however, the pre-ramble refers to five other 17s. A fair amount of my grid is still blank and I haven't identified any clashes yet, so I can't comment further at the moment.
2 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

1st August 2015, 14:46
The five cells with clashes must themselves be one of the 17s. This explains why the setter was so particular that each clash gets replaced by one dot. There is a 17 which refers both to the number 5 and a word for 'dot'.
3 of 40  -   Report This Post

carpox1

1st August 2015, 15:16
Ah yes, a citrus fruit is involved. Thanks for enlightening me.
4 of 40  -   Report This Post

carpox1

1st August 2015, 17:58
I’m having trouble with 12a, “A single record recalled hosts knowing man’s name (6)”. I have P?IP?I. Perhaps “knowing” is HIP and the definition is “man’s name”, but the result doesn’t look very promising to me. Any hints would be appreciated, please.
5 of 40  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

1st August 2015, 18:17
This is the answer in the preamble that is entered in a jumble. Def mans name. You have letters in right order so far just follow the word play. It's a common mans name that begins with P if entered unjumbled.
6 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

1st August 2015, 18:37
Carpox1, you're right with HIP for 'knowing'. This arrangement of the man's name gives last 3 letters which are a facial feature in twisted form. You'll find the associated 17, I'm sure.
7 of 40  -   Report This Post

annie44

1st August 2015, 19:55
Please could someone give me a hint for 14D. I've finished the puzzle except for this. I can only find one word that fits but it doesn't seem to make any sense.
8 of 40  -   Report This Post

meursault

1st August 2015, 20:03
Annie, 14D is one of the clues with a longer answer than the grid cells, so you can reasonably expect that there's a clash cell somewhere. All the clashes bar one are in the first or last cells of answers. So the clash cell is the first cell of 14D. Go for exactly what the wordplay says : a common word for 'grain' with a common word for 'one particular' inside. By the way, the contents of all the clash cells, prior to replacing by dots, contain words.
9 of 40  -   Report This Post

olivercardo

1st August 2015, 20:05
Annie, it' s not as hard as it looks but it was my last one too, because I assumed the clash was in a different part of the answer to where it is. Definition is the first word, but not in the culinary sense. Four letter word for grain, with a very common three letter word inside. Good luck!
10 of 40  -   Report This Post