CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bigbadmarty2

1st July 2015, 20:23
Strictly speaking it's not ok.
The thing is that "un-edited" (my hyphen) would seem to indicate subtracting "edited" from XYZ.

I've used "noted" - not "ed" to wriggle out an extra "ed"

..but I've also used "noted" to remove a pesky superfluous "ted" , not in the same clue though (... hmmm not yet...)
51 of 64  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

1st July 2015, 20:26
meant to say

...would seem to indicate subtracting "edit" from XYZ

I'd like an edit post on here !
52 of 64  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

1st July 2015, 20:33
And not forgetting that all of these constructions are frowned on by many crossworders, who insist on a deletion indicator to be a single word and not part of one.

Many also insist on deleted elements appearing in the correct order in the anagram fodder.
53 of 64  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st July 2015, 20:43
I've seen the opinion in your second paragraph expressed in various places, BBM - sheer nonsense, in my view.

The first examples of subtractive anagrams that I came across were jolan's, and he never thought it necessary that the letters be in order.

(It's similar in concept to a very irritating book I read recently - "The Luminaries" by Eleanor Catton. It has several sections each of which has precisely half the number of letters (or was it words?) of the previous one. My response was "Why?")
54 of 64  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

1st July 2015, 21:00
I might add that the "letters in order" thing was new to me when l fell foul of it on another forum!

It adds another level of complication to an already complicated process and in doing so negates some nice wordplay opportunities.

55 of 64  -   Report This Post

mattrom

1st July 2015, 21:32
Well done Paul and thanks to Marty for hosting.

Re busby @29
ant hem is hidden in reverse in
soMEHow caTNAps
56 of 64  -   Report This Post

les40

1st July 2015, 22:26
Brilliant mattrom
It stops (contains) it (the anthem which is The Concorde) going up (in the down clue)

Nice one Busby, a very clever &lit
57 of 64  -   Report This Post

busby

1st July 2015, 22:50
Thanks BBm2 & congrats Paul.

And there I was thinking my clue was too easy, managed to get some people thinking.

Spot on parsing Mattrom, thanks, and thanks Les for the positive comment.

soMEHow caTNAps delay (hold up) The Concorde, Nation Anthem of Gabon.
58 of 64  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

1st July 2015, 23:07
Yeah, you got us busby!
59 of 64  -   Report This Post

paul

2nd July 2015, 10:30
Thanks Marty for the vote, and for taking the time to perform such a thorough analysis!
Sombre clip but fair enough. How things would be different if camel-herding had been rewarding enough to cement a lifetime's career path.

See you all next week
60 of 64  -   Report This Post