CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

busby

24th June 2015, 09:32
"Thanks everyone for the feedback."

"The suggestion would be to have a subscription based model for those that want it, those that do not would continue to see the site in its current form with advertising."

Sounds like the way to go to me Ash. Those that complain about the advertising would have 3 choices.
1) download an app.
2) put up the cash.
3) shut up.
The choice would be theirs.
21 of 37  -   Report This Post

pigale

24th June 2015, 09:35
Why not download an app anyway - it is free no?
22 of 37  -   Report This Post

elle

24th June 2015, 09:59
Hi, Ash
I should be grateful if you would clarify a few points, please.
Busby asked whether the advertising revenue depended on the number of 'hits on/ visits to' the website? and also whether the advertisers are aware if someone visiting the website has AdBlock installed?
I too would be interested in these answers as this is surely relevant to the whole issue?
If one can use Adblock without damaging the revenue, then there isn't a problem?
23 of 37  -   Report This Post

rossim

24th June 2015, 18:23
Bumping to the top as I'd like the answers too.
24 of 37  -   Report This Post

ash

24th June 2015, 19:38
Typically advertising is paid by the number of adverts that are shown, for each advert we receive a tiny amount of money.

If a user has adblock installed then these users would see no adverts and subsequently we would receive no income from the user.
25 of 37  -   Report This Post

rossim

24th June 2015, 19:47
Thanks for making that clear, Ash.

I would happily uninstall Adblock if the FLASHING ads were taken off. I'm sure there are others that would do the same.
26 of 37  -   Report This Post

elle

24th June 2015, 19:56
I'm with Rossim on this, Ash.
I was forced to install Adblock because the FLASHING ads gave me migraine.
But I'm still not clear on how this advertising works? Can you explain how the Advertisers KNOW whether the ones viewing the adverts on your website have Adblock installed or not?
27 of 37  -   Report This Post

peterm

24th June 2015, 20:58
It would be good to have an app for Android/iOS, for which I'd be happy to pay a one-off fee for an ad-free version.
28 of 37  -   Report This Post

mattrom

24th June 2015, 22:14
I'm curious also - if a user visits the website, say, 5 times a day, does that generate more revenue than the same user visiting once a day?
29 of 37  -   Report This Post

busby

25th June 2015, 02:51
Hi Elle.
When you visit a website certain info is downloaded to your 'putor. This info comes from many different sites/sources and is downloaded in some sort of order. Your 'putor relays back to the servers when something is downloaded, then the next one starts. (I think so anyway).
If you watch in the bottom left hand corner of your screen when you open a site you will see messages, eg: waiting for ????.com, followed by waiting for ??? etc.
Your computor is relaying information back to the servers that are supplying it.
30 of 37  -   Report This Post