CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cloverjo

23rd June 2015, 22:42
I only use this site to ask for help on 2 crosswords per week. Although I enjoy using the site very much, I wouldn't pay for an ad-free zone. They really don't bother me.
11 of 37  -   Report This Post

mamya

23rd June 2015, 22:43
Fair point from admin and equally good points raised by everyone else.

I have to cut my cloth very close...

No subscription TV
Mobile spend approx £10 every 6 months
Don't buy newspapers, go to gigs etc

I would reluctantly have to leave if subs came in but would understand.
12 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

23rd June 2015, 23:02
I'm often amused by the ads, and always bewildered about how they work. I get very local ones here in the States- for restaurants in Providence, for example, and once when I told a story here about a detested (by me) trampoline that our insurance company finally made us get rid of I was bombarded with ads for trampolines. Then there are all the ads from hot women who are dying to meet me, which perhaps appear because I've typed something suggestive, like "jazzgirl". My only negative issue with the site is the infuriating problem I have with accessing it- well, and that jazzgirl herself has never solicited me.
13 of 37  -   Report This Post

lmj

24th June 2015, 00:01
Hi Ash

I am only a nominal user and whilst I have enjoyed this site (and will continue to do so) to solve crosswords would not want to pay for it when there are others out there. However this site is so friendly and everyone is lovely and with Nora batting for us it does feel safe. But......I am beginning to think it is getting too political. I personally do not have a problem with ads I have them blocked. Even if they were evident I would not take too much notice of them anyway. If I want something, I will research and buy it. Ads do not influence me.

Thank you for all your good work and I hope you can work something out.

However will still be peeking in every now (well....most days) but then I am rubbish at cryptic crosswords. The lovely people on here have taught me so much and I have at least only 2/3 to solve most days now. Result? Well....almost.

14 of 37  -   Report This Post

busby

24th June 2015, 04:59
Hi Ash.
I would guess the more hits/visits your website gets the better when it comes to advertising revenue. Who would pay to advertise on a site no one visits?
There are simple solutions available for those that do not appreciate the advertising.
If someone is running "ad blocking" software are the advertisers aware?
Does this affect the revenue?
I have never paid a subscription to a website and never would.

If it could be set up both ways all the better, those that subscribe do not see advertising and those that don't do see the ads.
15 of 37  -   Report This Post

ash

24th June 2015, 08:03
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

The suggestion would be to have a subscription based model for those that want it, those that do not would continue to see the site in its current form with advertising.
16 of 37  -   Report This Post

rossim

24th June 2015, 08:20

I'm afraid this site isn't what it used to be and I find I am using it less and less these days. The fun seems to have gone out of it.
The regulars are lovely but there are too many complainers who have put the dampers on much of the banter that I enjoyed reading, even if I did not always take part.
Perhaps, a couple of years ago I would have been prepared to pay for it but not now. Sorry.
17 of 37  -   Report This Post

rossim

24th June 2015, 09:06
May I also add that I was happy enough with the adverts until they started flashing. They became intolerable and at that point I installed Adblock.
18 of 37  -   Report This Post

pigale

24th June 2015, 09:21
Hello Ash,

For my part, depending on the amount, I propably would be willing to pay if I was sure the Forum maintained its present spirit.

however, view the recents posts, I am afraid that many of the 'regulars' who make it as pleasant as it is (apart for usefulness in crossword solving) are likely to go elsewhere. Thus, what type of site will it be then - that's what would make me hesitate.
19 of 37  -   Report This Post

pigale

24th June 2015, 09:32
PS - Like Rossim and a few others, I have installed Adblock and since then I do not have a single ad on my page,
20 of 37  -   Report This Post