CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT 9

dandybandy

19th February 2015, 00:29
This thing is keeping me awake. Tremendously thick today. Thanks folks for hints on 1 down . Wouldn't mind but I sold the damned stuff for 40 years in our health food shop. It ain't a marshland plant by the way. One of its folk names is grecian hay. I've a lovely (Indian) recipe for potatoes using it. Make enough for two meals and the family raid it cold the following day.
Oh I forgot I'm actually stuck down in the south west corner. Hints please on either 17d, My one opal improves on exhibits here (7) or 20a Live as a couple and smile about evening in America (2,2,4) See, I told you I was thick tonight. I'll thank any answers in the morning.
31 of 36  -   Report This Post

mattrom

19th February 2015, 02:39
I'm not very good at doing hints, however,

17d is an anagram - definition is an ancient city

20a Definition is "live as a couple"
An American way of spelling a word for "evening", inside another word
32 of 36  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

19th February 2015, 07:36
Many thanks Mattrom. I see you're even more of a night owl than I am. Though last night was even more of a disturbed one than usual for me. Was hung up on 17d. I knew it was an anagram but kept trying to make "one opal" fit in with the answer for the medication at 23 across
33 of 36  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2015, 07:43
Good morning Dandybandy
I am a lark, not a night owl...
The marshland part of the clue confused me for a while until I realized it was fen!
34 of 36  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

19th February 2015, 07:57
Hi Jazzgirl, frustrating isn't it. As I said I knew it so well. Probably lots of people do also. It's there on virtually every Indian restaurant menu as Methi, viz Aloo Methi
35 of 36  -   Report This Post

radarman

19th February 2015, 10:21
Thanks jazzgirl. That is what I thought and I now see that adding 'or' in the right place fits the rest of the clue.
36 of 36  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT 9